PDA

View Full Version : All-In or Just Call

BIGRED
05-21-2004, 11:34 AM
I'm a first time poster in this forum.
I play mostly 30/3 SNG at Party.

This is a situation I comes across a lot and I want to know what the correct play is.

I don't have the hand history, so I will just describe the hand with the relevant details. The blinds are at 25/50, so it's still pretty early in the tournament. There are 8 or so players remaining. The opponent has me just about covered and we are both in comfortable chip position.

The opponent in EP raises to 100.
It gets folded to me on CO with KK and I reraise to 250.
Button and the blinds fold and the opponent goes All-In.
I called without hesitating, but wondered if I shouldn't have just called his original raise.

The reason why I thought this is because now that he is all-in, if he has something like AK or AQ, then we are now forced to stay to the river where he has a higher chance of hitting his Ace. Whereas if I just called his original raise, I can probably take the pot with a bet or make him make a bad call, if no Ace flops.

I think re-rasing was the right move, but are there any merits in just calling? And if so, is the reason I gave above the justification for just calling?

A lot of times when I have high pocket pair, early in the tournament I wonder if I shouldn't just call someone's raise, rather than re-rasing, for the possibility of provoking an All-In by a drawing hand, who now will see all 5 cards to possibly outdraw me.

Jason Strasser
05-21-2004, 11:38 AM
This, in my humble opinion, is the only viable option. You simply can not cold call a min raise with a hand like KK, and give the blinds a chance to see the flop cheap. Do you want the A3 sooooted in the BB to see the flop? What about the pocket 4s?

Reraise, isolate, and take his chips. You are far better off reraising here.

BIGRED
05-21-2004, 11:47 AM
Yes, in this case it was a minimum raise, so I should re-raise. And I had no doubts about re-rasing when I did it. It's just that when he went all-in, a thought went through my mind that I might get outdrawn.

What if the original raise was significantly bigger than the minimum raise? Should I just call for the reason I gave in the original post?

fnurt
05-21-2004, 11:48 AM
Think about the two scenarios you're considering. In one case, you call the raise, he folds on the flop when no ace hits, and you win 100. In the other case, you get him all-in, he gets two extra shots to hit that ace, and you win his entire stack.

Giving him two additional shots to hit his 3-outer is well worth it when you consider the huge payoff.

mackthefork
05-21-2004, 05:57 PM
Then what's your action if a lone ace hits? I don't like it much, it will go wrong as often as it goes right imo.

Regards ML