PDA

View Full Version : Food for thought

ACPlayer
05-21-2004, 07:03 AM
Chicken Hawk Strategy (http://www.atimes.com/atimes/Middle_East/FE21Ak03.html)

[ QUOTE ]
As a baseline for my judgment, I put forward several propositions: 1) The political class in every nation is a crop of cultivated liars - to be generous, obfuscators. Power has always resided in the hands of a minority in all societies of significant scale, and with the advent of mass politics and its language of egalitarianism, it became necessary to spin yarns to either justify or conceal the disparity; 2) Humanity is entering the condition of critical mass, leading to a level of competition within and between human groups and areas of the world that will amount to cannibalization: the possibilities for either economic growth or cost-free migration are coming to an end. This is true not simply because of the number of people that now exist and are coming to be, but also hinges on aspects of human nature and a set of divisive and irremediable historical developments, as well as environmental limits preset beneath a rising tide of expectations that are unsupportable

[/ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
In a recent interview on public broadcasting in the US with a trio of the typical, dreary pundits one has come to expect, Lieutenant-General William Odom (retired) called for the hasty withdrawal of US forces from Iraq, fully admitting the probability that the country will descend into civil war as a consequence: the subject of discussion was simply whether or not the war could be won. Odom presented three reasons the US went to war - weapons of mass destruction, overthrowing the Saddam Hussein regime, and establishing a constitutional democracy "friendly" to the US. In that order, he declared the first irrelevant (didn't exist), the second accomplished, and the third not possible to achieve, at least for several decades. Ergo, let's get the hell out and deal with whoever comes out on top.

I imagine President George W Bush, his deputy Dick Cheney, Rumsfeld, Pearl and Wolfowitz sitting in a room listening to this drivel and reacting, with Bush fuming about god and freedom until he goes for a jog with the secret service - the others listen on and nod. After the president leaves, the party in power gets out the cognac and heaves a collective sigh: "Why do they put such people on TV in the first place?" any one of them might ask rhetorically. Odom is either intellectually conditioned or obedient enough to keep the discussion about the causes for the war within the narrow lines the establishment wants, but for whatever reason he draws the wrong conclusion. The Bush cabal didn't go to Iraq for any of Odum's reasons as Odom understands them, and so they are all irrelevant to the decision on whether or not to get out.

While Bush is rubbing his crotch with talcum powder and putting on his sneakers, our quartet of idealists turn to discussing real issues, such as oil, the prospects for privatizing the region, derailing any possibilities for a common currency among Arab nations, the position of the dollar in petroleum markets and for the central reserves in Asia, and the balance of trade between the US and the nations of the Organization of Petroleum Exporting Countries.

[/ QUOTE ]

sam h
05-21-2004, 11:49 AM
[ QUOTE ]
The first proposition about political dishonesty can be applied to the current in-group in Washington to an exceptional degree, in large part because it is made up mostly of a minority within a minority - they are Jewish.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
Jews are the most prosperous subset of the elite in the US, the biggest political campaign contributors, the principle managers of US media, and have dominated the last two presidential administrations. For better or for worse, informed observers must concede that Jews in the US have reached a pinnacle of wealth and influence fantastically beyond their numbers.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm pretty sympathetic to administration bashing, and even some conspiracy theorizing, these days. But this kind of stuff crosses the line into both offensiveness and stupidity. Not only is there a whiff of The Protocols about the whole thing, it's just reductive to think that this Neo-Con agenda ultimately is driven by religious affiliation. Why can't Paul Wolfowitz have intellectual convictions that aren't just secretly reflections of his Jewishness?

andyfox
05-21-2004, 01:29 PM
I agree with your well-stated sentiments 100%.

ACPlayer
05-22-2004, 02:39 AM
Actually to me the most interesting part of the article related to its view that as the planet runs out of resources we resort to "canabalization" of each other to maintain adequate resources for "our" (substitute any human group to which you belong) survival.

If this hypothesis is what plays out then the series of wars around the world (asia, africa, middle east) may simply be a struggle to see which group of human's survives at the expense of other groups in order to survive on dwindling resources.

I had a discussion with a close friend about 6 months ago about a study that found that India may be on the cusp between the struggle for land for its booming population and the economic miracles being brought forth for the privileged who are enjoying the benefits of our outsourcing programs.

In fact, perhaps the planet is on that cusp.

MMMMMM
05-22-2004, 09:42 AM
Overpopulation is the primary problem. Stop over-procreation!

Gamblor
06-05-2004, 03:49 AM
Of course, you're 100% right I think.

But given that you're right about this specific instance, why can't you be right about American policy in the Middle East?

Why is it acceptable in this forum to blame US support of Israel on Jewish power-mongers?

ACPlayer
06-05-2004, 07:50 AM
Why is it acceptable in this forum to blame US support of Israel on Jewish power-mongers?

Same reason you get to expound your own version of history.

Freedom of speech.