PDA

View Full Version : My first try at NL

bakku
05-21-2004, 06:13 AM
Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $0.50 BB (9 handed)

Hero ($87.47)
UTG ($11)
UTG+1 ($20)
MP1 ($77.72)
MP2 ($26)
MP3 ($12.41)
CO ($5.13)
Button ($114.31)
SB ($88.40)

SB is Chris Daddy Cool, he currently has a 70% PF raise going on. He's raising $3 everytime there has been no other raises and is buying pot after pot. No one at the table is smart enough to catch on..

Preflop: Hero is BB with K/images/graemlins/spade.gif, K/images/graemlins/heart.gif.
UTG folds, UTG+1 folds, MP1 folds, MP2 folds, MP3 calls $0.50, CO calls $0.50, Button folds, <font color="CC3333">SB raises to $3</font>, Hero calls $2.50, <font color="CC3333">MP3 raises to $12.41 (All-In)</font>, CO calls $4.63 (All-In), SB calls $9.41, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises to $87.47 (All-In)</font>, SB...

Let me have it..

Note: I'm a microlimit player, I have no skills and no real experience with NL games other than some loose home games with friends..

bunky9590
05-21-2004, 07:20 AM
Looks good to me, except chris daddy is smart enough to know when to apply the brakes.

I get it all in with KK here in the party 25NL all day and twice on Sunday.

It worked out for you but I would immediately reraise to about 10 and not cold call the raise.

gavrilo
05-21-2004, 07:39 AM
i wouldn't flat call with KK in this spot

nicky g
05-21-2004, 07:43 AM
I would raise less on the final raise. Even on party there is a real danger that your opponenet will not call that big a reraise without AA. But otherwise looks good.

bakku
05-21-2004, 07:46 AM
yea, i realized the cold-call was bad..I know that much

But how about when I pushed after 2 all-ins and Chris just calls the short stack? Would it be wiser to just smoothcall that one and see if I can get some bets out of Chris on the flop? Or do I want him to fold?

bakku
05-21-2004, 07:48 AM
SB is a 2+2er, there's no way he's calling without AA after I push. That's the main thing I question about this hand..

bunky9590
05-21-2004, 07:54 AM
Its unlikely Chris daddy has AA, the strawberry shortstack is all in. Chris Daddy may call with AK or QQ, but you have to knock Chris daddy back a few notches and let him know you'll set him all in now and then. Even if he doesn't call.

bunky9590
05-21-2004, 07:56 AM
Make him fold, lots of dead money in there. Don't let him catch a miracle set or a miracle hand, make his stack go in now if he wants to.

Sharingan
05-21-2004, 08:19 AM
mmmh, it's hard to comment.
A lot of small stacks at this table. I for one would not play on this table. The players don't have enough money to lose /images/graemlins/laugh.gif
Anyway, I don't think you made a mistake. Maybe I would have raised a little bit, instead of going all-in. The person with a lot of money is the small blind. If you move all in he will probably fold, you want him to call. All the others are all in and even if you lose against a smaller set of some lucky two pair, you wont lose too much. By raising all in you're pushing out the single player that has a lot of money. Maybe he's holding AQ, KQ, JQ, TT etc.
If you're lucky he'll hit something and you're gonna take his whole stack.

Just my thought.
Lots of luck.

nicky g
05-21-2004, 08:21 AM
Opps I missed the introduction about Chris and his preflop raise rate. Apologies for being dim.

bakku
05-21-2004, 09:02 AM
There's no way I'm taking SB's whole stack, I don't think you read the description I made of him too closely /images/graemlins/grin.gif. He's a 2+2er terrorizing the table and raising just to piss everyone off, but he's not about to spew his chips everywhere if he knows I have a hand. I think it's close between trying to get him to fold and keeping him in the pot. There's already $40 in there

kerpowski
05-21-2004, 12:00 PM
The last thing you want him to do is fold here (unless he'll fold AA but I give CDC more credit than that). If he has any hand other than AA folding would be correct. You want him to put more money in the pot. Pushing all-in is going to fold any other hand. You want to raise an amount he may call, but where he does not have the proper odds to draw.

In this case I'd raise $25-30. Enough to make it a mistake for him to call drawing to a set or an ace. Push on any flop. This line gets more money in when you are ahead and the same in when you are behind.

kerpowski
05-21-2004, 12:06 PM
You want to keep him in the pot and it's not close.

jdl22
05-21-2004, 12:30 PM
[ QUOTE ]
SB is a 2+2er, there's no way he's calling without AA after I push. That's the main thing I question about this hand..

[/ QUOTE ]

Your logic is bad here. He is a good player. He is aware that you are a good player. He is aware that you are aware of his strategy. Given the way you see him playing he could think you are trying to shut him out with a good, but not great hand.

Suppose you are correct and that he will fold anything but aces. Then you would be willing to make this move with jacks or even tens and it would be +EV. He will recognize that and may call with hands like QQ or JJ.

That reminds me of a hand played at a NL25 table that was taken over by a bunch of 2+2ers. There was a preflop raise by a 2+2 guy in EP that was raising a lot (we were all basically trying to buy pots off each other) making it about 4 or 5 to go. I had kings in MP and pushed with rougly 50 bucks. Ulysses was in LP (with a rather large stack) and called. He had QQ.

We talked about the hand after and he told me that if I was just a typical party player he wouldn't have called with queens but because I'm a reasonable player he assumed that I would make that move with a range of hands and thus his queens were good. I'm not sure he was 100% serious (we were discussing this because as it turned out his queens were good /images/graemlins/crazy.gif) but I'm sure he was not 0% serious.

Al_Capone_Junior
05-21-2004, 12:33 PM
I like it actually! Hope you didnt run into aces. Even if you did, it was probably the $12 all in guy, so you might still profit from the side pot if you get called.

al

Chris Daddy Cool
05-21-2004, 03:16 PM
I think the decision is to try to keep me into the pot and extract bets from me postflop. You have to consider that there's two people already all in, so AA between the two of them is likely.

If I fold preflop, Bakku may get shut out of the pot completely from AA because he ain't getting in any more money from me when I fold.

I think his main focus should be tryng to build a nice juicy side pot between me and him on the flop if he thinks I'm capable of folding a "big" hand if he pushes before. If he thinks I would call with less than AA, then he should push.

bakku
05-21-2004, 06:10 PM
Thanks for the responses everyone, very educational on the crazy world of NL

So when I pushed Chris folded what he later said were pocket 8's. The flop comes J high, I'm happy. The turn is a brick, I'm even happier. River is an ace and I crap my pants. But it doesn't matter, the limp-reraiser flopped a set of jacks and takes it down