PDA

View Full Version : Lunch!

Hung
05-21-2004, 05:32 AM
Can someone please help me deciding what I should have for lunch?

It's almost time to have lunch. But we don't know what to eat.

_2000Flushes
05-21-2004, 05:44 AM
I can't say that McDonald's really appeals to me. But french fries don't make such a great meal, and the remaining three options are owned by Pepsi--which is just gross. The default is the adequate McDonald's.

-2kF

jdl22
05-21-2004, 06:29 AM
I've never heard any country associated with waffles that wasn't Belgium. You're right about the French thing. I remember reading somewhere that it is believed that we call them French fries to spite the English. Funny people tried to change the name again to spite the French. Oh well...

Also if you like French fries you should come to Pittsburgh. The fries are on everything - salad, sandwiches (yes the fries are in the sandwiches) you name it. That is probably the 1 local custom I enjoy. I've actually walked into a restaurant and said "do you have fries?" and when they responded in the positive followed it up "great, then I'll have a salad."

daveymck
05-21-2004, 07:23 AM
My option is a nice Greggs Pastie with a whopper sandwich and a nice piece of caramel slice to finish.

Have to come to Notherne England to get a proper one although they do have some stores in London now.

Baulucky
05-21-2004, 07:24 AM
I'd suggest something else, but I already had my 2 vowel movements today.

daveymck
05-21-2004, 07:27 AM
In the UK we call french fries, chips except in Macdonalds etc. Chips though tend to be cut thicker than the generic french fies. If you come to the UK you have to have Fish and chips ate out of the paper with loads of salt and vinegar.

Also never understood why Americans call Crisps, chips.

Its a funny language english.

Hung
05-21-2004, 08:00 AM
I took spaghetti. I'll have some fries tonight. mmmmh /images/graemlins/grin.gif
Time for a nap now.
Yesterday was an official holiday, and nobody is working today. Except me of course. Why should I take a day off if I can have one at work /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Poker Jet
05-21-2004, 08:04 AM
A) Spell belgium right if your going to criticize anyone.
B) Burger King as much as I know, is NOT owned by PepsiCo.

Sharingan
05-21-2004, 08:27 AM
I see all the fun people are here in the internet forum.

[ QUOTE ]
Spell belgium right if your going to criticize anyone.

[/ QUOTE ]

I do believe it's Belgium too. But if you say Belgian Waffles , it's Belgian and not Belgium.
Just my thought.
ps: I'm not English.

daveymck
05-21-2004, 09:02 AM
You are correct there are Belgian chocolates as well.

Rushmore
05-21-2004, 09:15 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You might want to spell you're correctly if you're going to make your point about spelling things correctly, particularly now, as opposed to in days of yore.

Rushmore
05-21-2004, 09:19 AM
Please know that the only reason the options that you list are of such a type as to induce actual illness is because someone somewhere convinced us that it's ok to eat food that actually leads to one's premature death.

They have these things called salads you might want to look into, and I also understand (through extensive research) that one is permitted to consume fish without submersing it in boiling oil.

Cptkernow
05-21-2004, 09:22 AM
I am from Cornwall and I can tell you that the expression
"nice greggs pasty" is an oxymoron.

If you want a great world class pasty goto Mcfaddens in St Just west Penwith Cornwall.
Or
Lavanders Alverton Penzance Cornwall

GWB
05-21-2004, 09:23 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Please know that the only reason the options that you list are of such a type as to induce actual illness is because someone somewhere convinced us that it's ok to eat food that actually leads to one's premature death.

They have these things called salads you might want to look into, and I also understand (through extensive research) that one is permitted to consume fish without submersing it in boiling oil.

[/ QUOTE ]
Are you some kind of veggie-commie?

Beef, the Texas treat

(gals named Oprah not welcome)

MicroBob
05-21-2004, 09:26 AM
i lived kind of near Pittsburgh for a summer (Johnstown) and a bar/restaurant just down the block from where i lived had these spectacular salads topped with super greasy-Fries.

the first time i had it i was kind of surprised...had never seen fries on a salad before....but by the end of my stay in that area i remember being disappointed when i ordered a salad and it came to me sans fries because they were out.

oh the memories of those salads (and the sandwiches with the fries also).

also, i consider myself to be something of a french-fry conniseur (sp??) and indeed have had a big basket of fries as a meal before.

although, the McDonald's fries usually rate very low on my list of quality fries. you cant be a french-fry connoseur and actually like McDonald's fries.
that's like the world's most reknown wine-taster popping the cap off a bottle of Boone's.
or a food-critic reviewing....well....McDonald's.

Inthacup
05-21-2004, 09:28 AM
Spell belgium right if your going to criticize anyone.

It takes a lot of balls(or stupidity) to criticize someone's spelling of their home country.

Rushmore
05-21-2004, 09:30 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Are you some kind of veggie-commie?

Beef, the Texas treat

[/ QUOTE ]

Last night, I had a beautiful piece of prime rib au jus with horseradish and two baked potatoes for dinner. There was beer involved.

So, NO, I am not a veggie-commie. I simply wanted to say that we should keep better options open.

Maybe I should hand my dietary decisions over to the U.N.

MicroBob
05-21-2004, 09:30 AM
where did he mis-spell Belgium??

just FYI.....'Belgian' refers to something from 'Belgium'.
like 'American' refers to something from the U.S. (as in....that's an American-made car).

Hung
05-21-2004, 09:32 AM
Hey Poker Jet,

I'm sorry if my spelling is bad. I'm Dutch and speak a little French and English. Just enough to say: Pot, fold, raise, etc.
But this time I was correct!! woohoo. It's a miracle. But I just looked it up in an online dictonary. It's Belgian Waffles instead of Belgian Wafels. I made a bad spelling in Waffles, but not in Belgian. Anyway, I had a good meal.
And a good laugh after reading all the replies.

Hung
05-21-2004, 09:37 AM
Hey Rushmore,

I don't eat anything without meat. I don't understand why people become or choose to be vegetarian (I hope I spelled that correctly). Meat is so tasty. miam miam.
I love a steak with fries and pepper cream sauce!! /images/graemlins/blush.gif

Gamblor
05-21-2004, 09:43 AM

Already been said, but spell "your" right if you're going to criticize anyone. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

daveymck
05-21-2004, 10:00 AM
Its a bit far to go even next week when I am in London to pop out for a pasty.

I have never been a fan of Cornish Pasties anyway, there are some posh pasties shops in Oxford, one charging £2.50 for one and I have to say I would rather have the three greggs pasties I could have had for the money, however I am a bit of a fat bastard.

arfsananto
05-21-2004, 10:07 AM
Salad isn't food, it's what food eats.

smudgex68
05-21-2004, 10:25 AM
[ QUOTE ]
FYI.....'Belgian' refers to something from 'Belgium'.

[/ QUOTE ]

Like Hercule Poirot - a Belgian sleuth, or
Marc Dutroux - a Belgian paedophile and mass murderer.

Anyone else know other famous Belgians, I'm a bit stumped

MicroBob
05-21-2004, 10:29 AM
Belgium is hitting the women's tennis scene pretty hard lately.

Justine Henin-Hardenne is one and Kim Clijsters is another.

they played against each other in one of the grand-slam finals last year...might have been the Frence Open which is actually starting up again next week.

Oski
05-21-2004, 10:29 AM
Dr. Evil was from Brugge.

MicroBob
05-21-2004, 10:31 AM
i thought Poirot was French for some reason....but i never really got into Agatha Christie.

smudgex68
05-21-2004, 10:34 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Kim Clijsters is another

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know why but I find this name really sexy

TylerD
05-21-2004, 10:41 AM
You've obviously never seen her.

TylerD
05-21-2004, 10:43 AM
Ummmm, pastys. Although I'm not from the region there is a nice pasty shop in Newquay, can't rememeber the name but its near the centre. Also the nationwide chain called, Cornish Pasty shop (or similar) do some good ones - thought they'd be crap, but they're not too bad IMO.

Hung
05-21-2004, 10:47 AM
You've obviously never seen her.
She's not that ugly.
And she makes a lot of money playing poker, so you can spend it playing poker /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Cptkernow
05-21-2004, 11:12 AM
Cornish Pasty shop chain = Pasty's of Satan.

There arnt many in cornwall if any at all.

If I was asked to pay 2.50 for a pasty I would jump the counter and nut the shopkeeper, well i wouldnt but Id want to.

Never trust a "Posh" pasty shop, that to is an oxymoron.

The true Pasty dilemma occurs when one finds one in Hayle after a surf.

Philps of Hayle has been the mainstay of choice of some years untill an intrepid pasty connesiur ventured into Hansons the Butcher to try his pastys.

Now Hansons score on size and excellent quailty of meat and pastry but are a bit bland as they dont seem to add enough pepper.

Philps whilst not as good in the meat and pastry department as Hansons it delivers a consitently ok tasty pasty and also has the force of tradtion on its side.

This leads to a frenzied level of pasty debate as we drive the 7 miles from Godrevy beach to Hayle, as both pasty camps try to convice the driver to swing his taste and quite literaly his car into the bakery of thier preference.

Senor Choppy
05-21-2004, 12:10 PM
Pepsi used to own 2, not 3 of the places mentioned, KFC and Pizza Hut, but they were spun off along with Taco Bell years ago.

CORed
05-21-2004, 12:30 PM
Well, a lot of vegetarians are conviced that if they don't eat meat, they will live longer. Even if they don't live longer, it will seem longer.

CORed
05-21-2004, 12:38 PM
You are correct about "Belgium" vs. "Belgian".

It's kind of sad that the English in posts from non-English speakers is generally better than the English in posts from American posters.

GrannyMae
05-21-2004, 12:41 PM
The default is the adequate McDonald's.

HA!!! i voted for mcdonalds before reading this analysis. however, i did it because i LIKE greasy burgers not because i applied some dumbass process of elimination.

you people have NO LIFE!!

ok, let me get to work, i have 114 useless posts to make today and i am getting started late.

http://users.pandora.be/eforum/emoticons4u/crazy/200.gif

CORed
05-21-2004, 12:47 PM
If you really want good fries, you need to slice them from fresh potatoes, instead of using pre-sliced frozen fries that were sliced from fresh potatoes 2 years ago. It also helps if you fry them in actual vegetable oil(peanut, sunflower, safflower or canola) instead of the hydrogenated, preservative laden glop most fast food places use.

daveymck
05-21-2004, 01:04 PM
Hmm seems like I have come across a food expert here, where do you stand on Balti pies? as I go to football matches it tends to be be a regular conversation as we go round the country trying out the balti pies at each ground.

As a follow up, as a deep southerner do you eat Black Pudding? or even know what it is.

Cptkernow
05-21-2004, 01:10 PM
I live in Cornwall.

I only attest to being an expert on Pastys.

As a Cornishman you can not lump me in with the other Southeners. There is a massive differance between Cornwall and Surrey.

Black pudding is OK but Hogs Pudding (A cornish delicacy) is much better.

Anyhow youre all tourist scum to us.

"Braman Gath an Susan."
(Englishmen are cats farts)(In Cornish)

jasonHoldEm
05-21-2004, 01:13 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Also if you like French fries you should come to Pittsburgh. The fries are on everything - salad, sandwiches (yes the fries are in the sandwiches) you name it.

[/ QUOTE ]

::sniff::

Man, I miss western PA.

jdl22
05-21-2004, 01:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]
If you come to the UK you have to have Fish and chips ate out of the paper with loads of salt and vinegar.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have enjoyed this there before. When I as in high school we had a foreign exchange student living with us from Stoke-On-Trent. I visited him there for a little over a week. One thing I enjoy about he fish and chips there is the vinegar oil and grease running down your arm after it has already soaked through the paper. I'm sure that's healthy.

Here stateside we do tend to call them chips if they are eaten with fish. I have never heard anybody say fish and fries. As for the crisps I think we call them chips for the same reason that we call poker chips poker chips. They resemble wood and other kinds of chips. Crisps also makes sense given that they're crispy.

edit: I wanted to add that the best breakfast food I've ever had was bacon and oatcakes. Sadly the oatcakes seems to be fairly specific to Stoke and we can't even get good bacon here.

Rushmore
05-21-2004, 01:28 PM
This reminds me of the scene from Angela's Ashes, when the kid hasn't eaten a crumb for days and actually LICKS the newspaper in which the fish and chips were packaged.

I don't think one needs to be starving to actually fully understand one's desire to do this.

jasonHoldEm
05-21-2004, 01:58 PM
Doh, too late to edit...

Funny story, first time I took my mom to primanti bros...

My Mom (god bless her): So you put the fries IN the sandwich?
Guy behind counter (who has heard this a hundred times): Yes.
Mom: Well...can I get them on the side?
Guy: No.

You probably have to be from Pittsburgh to understand the humor.

kdog
05-21-2004, 07:23 PM
Hung posts a question about what he should have for lunch and the thread goes to three pages. Only in the Zoo. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

And could one of you Brits please explain what the hell a pasty is? I'll eat pretty much anything but I've never heard of these.

TimM
05-21-2004, 07:40 PM
I don't know what pastys are, but I know what pasties are:

http://www.pastease.com/images/hm_girl.jpg

MicroBob
05-21-2004, 07:45 PM
no wonder they're so popular!!

mmmmmm...i'm getting hungry.

dogsballs
05-21-2004, 11:43 PM
heh, daveymck, I used to live on greggs cheese and onion pasties - two of them followed up with a snowball. Perfect a diet fir when yir oan the bru.

dogsballs
05-21-2004, 11:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Sadly the oatcakes seems to be fairly specific to Stoke

[/ QUOTE ]

Go into any tourist shop selling scottish stuff - the oatcakes are right next to the shortbread.

dink
05-22-2004, 12:23 AM
What is wrong with a good ol aussie meat pie?

better than any pastie, and I have eaten pasties in Penzance and Tantagnel (I think that is how you spell it) in cornwell. As for Balti pies, don't know em

I am Biased but the Aussie meat pie can't be beaten for lunch.

Dink.

Cptkernow
05-22-2004, 08:42 AM
The cornish Pasty or Croast as it is called in cornish, is similar to a meat pie.

The standard pasty is shaped like a half moon with a pastry crimp. The cripm forms a handle, which allows you to hold the pasty with dirty hands, which is usefull if you have/are been down a mine all day. Mining was the traditional industry of Cornwall for centuries.

The ingredients of a pasty are steak, potato, swede, oninon, butter and plenty of salt and pepper. Pastys traditonaly had two fillings seperated by a pastry wall half way through the pasty. The first half had the meat and the next half held a sweet filling. Therefore turning your pasty into a two course meal.

daveymck
05-22-2004, 12:47 PM
Ah snowballs, lovely as a kid but have gone downhill these days.

A picture of a pastie for our american cousins

http://www.tastefullyyours.net/graphics/pastie4.jpg

Basically its a bit like a pie but different and can have any sort of fillings, cornish as previously said but also cheese or corned beef and now there are posh pastie shops that have all sorts of fillings.

The guy who got sent to Stoke was that som sort of punishment, cant think of a worse place to be exchanged too.

jdl22
05-22-2004, 01:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]
The guy who got sent to Stoke was that som sort of punishment, cant think of a worse place to be exchanged too.

[/ QUOTE ]

It was the opposite, the guy from Stoke came to live with us. When I visited it wasn't so bad. I mean there is the pottery museum /images/graemlins/tongue.gif.

Although one of the best matches I've seen in terms of atmosphere at the ground was Stoke City - Preston North End. The match was good, City won 2-1 with a goal in the 89th minute or something. The atmosphere was good because both teams are small so the fans are much more passionate and not of the fair weather variety. The next week I went to Liverpool - Middlesbrough at Anfield and while it was still impressive the fans weren't nearly as passionate as the 2nd division match I'd gone to a week earlier. I found a possible reason after the match when it took us forever to get back to Stoke because so many fans at the match were driving out of Liverpool to go home.

daveymck
05-22-2004, 02:18 PM
My team played stoke this season so I had my first visit, I was thankful that the locals didnt partake in the usual pastime of lobbing bricks at the away supporters. Its a tough part of the country.