PDA

View Full Version : A9o in first headsup hand

Che
05-21-2004, 02:00 AM
One-table Stars 105+9 Turbo

Opponent busted short stack on previous hand by minraising with A6o and then calling when BB pushed in for ~200 more chips with 78o. I still have opponent covered but only by ~240 chips (68xx to 66xx).

Opponent posts SB of 400 and then raises to 2400. 3300 in the pot including my BB and the two antes.

Read: Opponent is skilled. Played very tight early and then adjusted appropriately as number of players decreased and blinds rapidly increased. Probably understands HU strategy, but no verification yet (obviously).

I have A9o. Go to war or wait?

Thanks,
Che

Daliman
05-21-2004, 02:46 AM
lotta hands you have beat here, lottle hands yer coin flip at worst, ew hands that dominate or have yo u70/30 or worse

Che
05-21-2004, 02:24 PM
I pushed in. Opponent insta-called with AK and took it down.

I figured that I was ahead of the opponent's range of raising hands, but he was getting better than 2:1 on the call so he had to call unless he was bluffing with 27o or something.

Basically, I was playing for first as a small favorite (most likely), big dog (possible), or he would fold (very unlikely). Normally I wouldn't like it, but what can you do when you're HU and neither of you have more than 9 BB?

Thanks for the reply, Daliman.

Che

Prickly Pete
05-21-2004, 03:38 PM
What is your table image at this point? I know I've been surprised when I see this situation get a fold out of the initial raiser. I think it may happen more than you think and make your reraise that much better.

Che
05-21-2004, 04:18 PM
Thanks for the response, Pete.

This was my first run (and probably my last) at the $105 Turbos and I was really surprised at how tight the early play was. The first player didn't bust until the 40th hand when blinds were 100/200 /images/graemlins/shocked.gif, and the tourney only lasted 82 hands (including the 2 meaningless hands after my A9 hand crippled me HU). When we hit level 7 (200/400/25a), 7 players were still in and only one had more than 5xBB. Needless to say, my opponent (who was to my immediate left) had seen me play a wide range of hands as I struggled to survive the crapshoot. But, I had repeatedly folded my BB to raises even when the (former) big stack was obviously raising far too often to have a real hand every time so to answer your question...

[ QUOTE ]
What is your table image at this point?

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought my image (my BB defense image, specifically) was tight enough that he might fold if he didn't have an A, a pair, or two face cards. I thought he could raise with less (Kx and Qx suited, connectors, suited one-gappers, heck - any two would probably do) so I pushed even though I knew I wouldn't get a fold from AT, for example.

I figured it was a good play - just unlucky timing running into AK- but I posted the hand because I wasn't 100% sure pushing was correct.

Thanks again,
Che