PDA

View Full Version : This must be what it feels like when the clueless win

StellarWind
05-21-2004, 12:19 AM
What am I supposed to do on the turn? Bet into this terrible board again? Panic and give everyone a free card? Plan ahead and avoid this situation?

Paradise Poker 2/4 Hold'em (10 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

BB seems normal/typical. UTG+1 is loose/typical. MP2 is tight. CO is a loose bad player who will bet any piece of the flop but doesn't raise much.

Preflop: Hero is SB with 9/images/graemlins/club.gif, K/images/graemlins/club.gif. MP2 posts a blind of $2.
UTG folds, UTG+1 calls, UTG+2 folds, MP1 folds, MP2 (poster) checks, MP3 folds, CO calls, Button folds, Hero completes, BB checks.

Flop: (5 SB) Q/images/graemlins/spade.gif, J/images/graemlins/spade.gif, K/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(5 players) </font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, BB calls, UTG+1 calls, MP2 folds, CO calls.

Turn: (4.50 BB) 6/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(4 players) </font>
Hero checks, BB checks, UTG+1 checks, CO checks.

River: (4.50 BB) 4/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(4 players) </font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, BB folds, UTG+1 folds, CO folds.

Final Pot: 5.50 BB
<font color="#990066">Main Pot: 4.50 BB, won by Hero.</font>
<font color="#990066">Pot 2: 1 BB, overbet by Hero.</font>

Homer
05-21-2004, 12:29 AM
Against four opponents, I'm checking this flop and seeing what happens. If there is a bet and a raise, I fold. If an EP player bets and there are a couple callers, I fold. If an LP player bets, I either call, raise or fold depending on what I think of the player and whether I think I can get it heads-up by raising.

Given that you bet the flop and got three callers, I'd check the turn planning to fold to a bet when the flush card comes. I like the river bet.

Guido
05-21-2004, 04:00 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Against four opponents, I'm checking this flop and seeing what happens.

[/ QUOTE ]
Can you explain why you would do this with a 9 kicker? With a 2-6 kicker I'm more likely to play this way but I like betting out more than checking in this situation. When I check, I would check-raise when the bet came from an LP. I understand that you fold to a raise but don't you give up to easy after a bet and two callers? I don't think it's wrong but I would like to know your reasons.

Thanks,

Guido

thirddan
05-21-2004, 04:18 AM
bet the turn...i don't like giving a free card here for someone with J7 to make a flush if the river is a /images/graemlins/spade.gif, or a free card to for an A to make a higher pair or straight...if you are raised i think you have an easy fold...you say that all the players are either typical or bad so i think your hand will be good here most of the time...

Bob T.
05-21-2004, 04:38 AM
Bet the turn. Your opponents might be drawing to a straight, and this would be your last chance to charge them.

I don't know if I would, but this also seems like a spot where you might want to give some thought to raising preflop.

Good luck,
play well,

Bob T.

Trix
05-21-2004, 05:39 AM
[ QUOTE ]
CO is a loose bad player who will bet any piece of the flop but doesn't raise much.

[/ QUOTE ]
How can you not check the flop ?

Bet the turn, you should know by now that people wont always have the flush...
You are giving them another shot at the gutshot.

But most important. check the flop and see what happens.

Guido
05-21-2004, 11:28 AM
Why check the flop with a 9 kicker? Can anybody explain this?

Guido

Sarge85
05-21-2004, 11:45 AM
I think it's an easy "check and see what happens” hand

Right now your hand is barely "ok" - yes yes it's top pair, but it's top pair on a highly coordinated board, you’re sitting with a crappy kicker, and your position sucks.

If you check, and EP Bets and gets many callers or raisers you should probably just fold right there. If you lead out, every jack, ace, king, queen, and spade will come along But if you check, and it gets checked to a late position bet who may be “stabbing” at it – then I’d check-raise and play the person heads up. If CO has a King – it’s probably worse than the hero’s if it’s not you expect a 3 bet after the check raise. (KQ, KJ, AK)

If I check-raise and still get callers calling two bets – than I’m probably check-folding the turn.

Sarge /images/graemlins/diamond.gif

Steve S
05-21-2004, 12:01 PM
[ QUOTE ]
What am I supposed to do on the turn? Bet into this terrible board again?

[/ QUOTE ]
Bet the turn. This is far from a terrible board, you have top pair and nobody has showed aggression. Although not a monster, you cannot afford to give a free card here.

Steve

Saborion
05-21-2004, 12:05 PM
I'd like to know the answer to that one myself. Wouldn't it be better to bet the turn and fold to a raise if you bet the flop like Hero did?