PDA

View Full Version : folded to you on button

jdl22
05-20-2004, 10:34 PM
This is one situation that nearly always leaves me puzzled.

You're on the button with 89s. It's folded to you. What's your action?

What if it's 89o or 33?

This is one situation where I mix up my play. Not because I want to do that but because I don't really know what to do. Sometimes I make a raise to 5 bb sometimes I limp. I almost never fold.

teatreeman
05-21-2004, 03:21 AM
It all depends on the two blinds. If they are weak, I will raise at least 4xbb with anything. If not, I can't really think about what I would do because there are too many factors [how they have acted in the blind before, if they had AA/KK, would they trap me etc. ]I'll tell you something I wouldn't do...call. Its raise/fold here for me.

Actually, MAYBE calling with AA/KK/AK if they are weak because I wouldn't want to scare them off

I am not an expert [or intermediate] but it really depends on how they have played. If this is your first orbit, you might have to take a chance with either one.

rtucker5
05-21-2004, 10:29 AM
[ QUOTE ]
You're on the button with 89s. It's folded to you. What's your action?

What if it's 89o or 33?

[/ QUOTE ]

I open 98 suited and 33 on the button for my normal raise 100% of the time. I would open with the 98o probably about 1/3 of the time and fold it 2/3 of the time.

george w of poker
05-21-2004, 11:55 AM
89s is definitely a raise. 33 is probably a raise but i haven't made up my mind about it.

with 33 you have potential for a big made hand on the flop and it would be nice to let other people in to make a second best hand instead of just picking up the blinds. and if you don't pick up the blinds and don't flop a set you have absolutely no hand and no room for improvement whereas with 89s you could hit top pair and be happy with it or have a couple draws. so, i'm thinking 33 is a limp actually.