PDA

View Full Version : Insults needed

04-25-2002, 05:03 PM
This friday I'll be playing NL with a bunch of guys who do phone sales. If you've ever seen the flick Boiler Room, these are them. I'd like to put them on tilt. If anyone has ever done this type of work, do you know any buzz-word dismissive/disparaging/demeaning names I can use on them to get their juices flowing? Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

04-25-2002, 05:46 PM
All I can think of right now is if they ever ask to see your hand say this " Sure, just give me your home telephone number, tell me what time you eat dinner and I'll call you up and tell you then."

Jimbo

04-25-2002, 05:50 PM
Phat Mack- well...the list is endless. I don't like the "name calling", as much as the "probing question" technique....Start with "is that stock you push actually a registered security?" and "did you really pass the series 7 exam or just the 63?" And...does the NASD allow you to say what you do to prospects- are those false numbers allowed? Also, "are you guys just "pumping and dumping" that piece of crap stock?". How BIG is that spread you guys are working off?-- didn't the SEC crack down on that stuff? "Are penny stocks still legal?" and can you "sell penny stocks to old people"? What about "suitability" and "full disclosure" rules?. If you get them thinking, it could be more distracting than just calling them names....Good luck...Babe

04-25-2002, 08:25 PM
Excellent suggestions.

I don't like the "name calling", as much as the "probing question" technique

I agree. I don't want to say anything personal. I have these guys on big fragile egos, and want to appear arrogant and somewhat condescending. I've found a good needle is to find (or invent) something praiseworthy, and just keep repeating it. "Well the economy's down, but he's hung on to his watch. I think it's really a Rolex!"

04-25-2002, 08:54 PM
Phat,

I think you better resort to name calling. :-}

BTW, one student who works as a telemarketer wrote a paper about his job. He kept using the rather awkward "The person who we call on the phone" instead of a shorter phrase. Finally, I aked him what you call these prospective customers; "Fish," he said.

John

04-25-2002, 09:35 PM
"Fish," he said.

Once again, life follows poker. The first time I heard "fish," I assumed it was a euphamism for "sucker." I thought jeez, Miss Manners must have stopped by for a buy-in. I guess now I'll have to refer my friends as "The people I play poker with." The bums at the local pool hall still call fish "cripples." They've avoided the cripple-hadicapped-disabled-challanged progrssion. I suppose it's because they never venture outside.

04-26-2002, 07:57 AM
Reading from your posts, I know you're one sleek, smart babe. Are you by any chance a stock or option broker at one time or another? Not too many people I know who at least did not attempt to be a stock broker knows about Series 7 or Series 63.

04-26-2002, 08:03 AM
When you start winning a few hands, you may start by saying: "Guys, prepare to turn your stacks to Enron stocks".

04-26-2002, 10:05 AM
when i was a wrestler, we called the wrestlers that you could pin quickly fish.

this was more of a metaphor because they looked like fish flopping around on their back trying not to get pinned.

04-26-2002, 10:38 AM
Ironwood- The Babe was a stockbroker and then became an Options principal(series 4). After about a decade, she decided to retire and trade only for her own account.

04-26-2002, 11:52 AM
What does ironwood mean?

04-26-2002, 11:58 AM
I would guess a reference to golf clubs? Or...there are some fabulous condos in Maui at Kapalua Bay called "Ironwood". They are right by the 4th hole on the Bay course (a really cute par 3). If it's the latter, Babe is getting on a plane...-fast!

04-26-2002, 12:55 PM
Babe,

You got their number!!! You are my kind of babe.

Fitz

04-26-2002, 01:14 PM
After 16 years as a telemarketing manager, I have heard almost everything at least once, but there were a handful that really seemed to tick the telemarketers off. Calling them telephone solicitors was one. Interally, we called the weaklings boothies. You could always inquire about who has to leave the game early to visit their parole officer; there were plenty of those over the years. Our easy customers were referred to as mooches; bless their little pointy heads.

But, the one that really pissed them off was a simple, "Why don't you get a real job?!" Of course, the pat answer was, "If I could get up out of my wheelchair and walk, I would." We taught that the first day of training.

Beware, these guys will have an answer, or in their terminology, a rebuttal for everything.

We all played a lot of poker after work over the years, and most of the pI played with were loose aggressive. They make their living pushing people around on the phone, and that translates to how they play poker. And, most of the people I worked with had enough larceny in their hearts to be willing to try almost anything once if they thought there was a pay off in it.

Good luck, and let us know how you do.

Fitz

04-26-2002, 07:40 PM
it's also the name of the pine tree that the condos are probably named after. They're mangy looking pine trees that are prevalent in hawaii near the beaches. thrive in poor (sandy, salty, etc) conditions, so they have no real competition for the space.

04-27-2002, 03:25 AM
Thank you for an extremely insightful post. I didn't have a need to use any of this stuff tonight. I have most of these guys trained not to push me. Now I'm wondering if that might not be a mistake. The next time one of them gets a big stack I may act intimidated and then start in on them.

Thanks again for all the posts.

Mack

04-29-2002, 07:45 PM
"Cripples" seems a bit more polite than "blindo" or "Ray Charles" which is what bad players went by at the pool halls I frequented. The solution to pool hall politically incorrect speech has been to let the pool halls die rather than try to reform the people in them.

04-30-2002, 08:59 PM
I've always found it more enjoyable to take people's money than to make fun of them.

Poker players need to find weaker players and be nice to them, not vice versa.

05-01-2002, 04:19 AM
You could say " here's a quater, call someone who cares " and flip them a low denomination chip