PDA

View Full Version : KK - Bet this river?

joker122
05-20-2004, 09:10 PM
Villain is a little LAG and likes to get tricky, especially HU. This could work for or against me here, thus I'm not sure what action to take on the river.

Party Poker 3/6 Hold'em (10 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is MP3 with K/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, K/images/graemlins/heart.gif.
UTG folds, UTG+1 calls, UTG+2 calls, <font color="CC3333">MP1 raises</font>, MP2 folds, <font color="CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, CO folds, Button folds, SB folds, BB folds, UTG+1 calls, UTG+2 calls, MP1 calls.

Flop: (13.33 SB) T/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 9/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 9/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(4 players) </font>
UTG+1 checks, <font color="CC3333">UTG+2 bets</font>, MP1 calls, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, UTG+1 folds, <font color="CC3333">UTG+2 3-bets</font>, MP1 folds, Hero calls.

Turn: (10.16 BB) 6/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(2 players) </font>
<font color="CC3333">UTG+2 bets</font>, Hero calls.

River: (12.16 BB) A/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(2 players) </font>
UTG+2 checks, Hero?

jacki
05-20-2004, 09:35 PM
If you're calling the turn after the flop 3-bet, I think you have to call the river. Raise it? I don't think I could, but who knows? This seems very player dependant. Go with your gut.

joker122
05-20-2004, 09:38 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I think you have to call the river

[/ QUOTE ]

Clearly I'm calling it, but do I bet when checked to is the question.

JohnShaft
05-20-2004, 09:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]
do I bet when checked to is the question.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes. It looks like he has a 10.
If he has the 9 and has checkraised you on the River, hoping your Ace hit, more power to him.

I wouldn't let him get away from this without throwing a bet in though.
He now knows he's behind to both hands he thought you might have (the overpair, and the big Ace) so he checks.

joker122
05-20-2004, 09:56 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Yes. It looks like he has a 10.

[/ QUOTE ]

JS, right on as usual.

He showed QTo and my hand was good. Missed a bet though.

JohnShaft
05-20-2004, 10:06 PM
[ QUOTE ]
He showed QTo and my hand was good. Missed a bet though.

[/ QUOTE ]

Joker, another reason why I like to bet in situations like this is it slows down people taking shots at you in future. If they know you will make them pay to try and take a pot of you it makes them less likely to fool around with you on earlier streets.

As much as you've saved him a bet you've probably also left him thinking "Phew, I got away from that one cheaply."

If you'd bet he'd no doubt have called and would have been thinking "************. Couldn't take the pot off him AND he made me pay the extra bet even after the Ace rivered!..."

That's definitely worth some fraction of a bet (in future hands) to me. (And others at the table will probably notice it too)

Homer
05-21-2004, 12:14 AM
Very few players will try to check-raise the river with trip 9's in this situation. 99% of the time your opponent will have a T and is checking because he fears that you hit the overcard to his pair.

This situation is slightly different, but generally speaking, when heads-up, don't check behind on the river just because a single overcard comes on board.

For example, you have QQ, UTG+2 bets a T99 flop, you raise, he calls. UTG+2 check-calls a blank on the turn. An Ace comes on the river and UTG+2 checks to you. You should be betting this every time.

-- Homer