PDA

View Full Version : Being out of position sucks. AA large multiway pot

Brian
05-20-2004, 05:18 PM
Party 3/6. My main opponent in this hand, the Button, is unknown. I am dealt A /images/graemlins/heart.gif A /images/graemlins/spade.gif in the CO. EP opens with a raise and MP bluffer cold-calls. I re-raise, and the Button cold-calls. Blinds fold, rest call. 4 to the Flop, 6.5bb.

Flop: Q /images/graemlins/heart.gif 9 /images/graemlins/club.gif 3 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif

EP and MP check to me and I bet. Button raises, EP and MP fold, I call. 2 to the Turn, 8.5bb.

Turn: 8 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif

I check and call Button's bet. 2 to the River, 10.5bb.

River: J /images/graemlins/spade.gif

I check and call Button's bet. Results later.

-Brian

Ponks
05-20-2004, 05:24 PM
I would 3-bet the flop or checkraise the turn if you're sure he'll bet.

Ponks

sfer
05-20-2004, 05:25 PM
Why so passive when the hand gets heads-up against an unknown? It seems quick to put him on a set or two-pair.

Trix
05-20-2004, 05:26 PM
How can you put him on QQ or 99 after one flop raise ?
Most people wont even raise with those here as they shut people out. I think AQs or KQs is more likely.

So what matters to me is how often he will check behind on the turn. If itīs rarely then I cr then turn else Iīll 3bet the flop.

balkii
05-20-2004, 05:33 PM
Brian, if he has QQ or 99, he probably waits until the turn to raise. If he called 3 cold with JT, well, he gets to win a big pot from you.

I'd have 3-bet the flop.

Brian
05-20-2004, 05:41 PM
Hi,

While my opponent was a relative unknown, what sort of hands do you put someone on who cold-calls a 3-bet pre-Flop, and then raises the pre-Flop 3-bettor on the Flop with 2 other players also still in the pot? I put him on either a very strong hand, a draw, or an idiot with AQ/KQ. On the Turn, the main possible draw, JT, got there, and while I may gain 1 big bet by check-raising the Turn, I lose 2 big bets if I get 3-bet. My opponent seemed willing to bet my hand for me, and since I wasn't folding my Aces in a pot so large, I figured I would let him.

-Brian

BottlesOf
05-20-2004, 05:50 PM
While my opponent was a relative unknown, what sort of hands do you put someone on who cold-calls a 3-bet pre-Flop, and then raises the pre-Flop 3-bettor on the Flop with 2 other players also still in the pot?

Based on this, I'm thinking my opponent is unthinking or at least not very skilled. I think you got scared too easily. I agree with some others, 3-bet the flop or c/r the turn.

sfer
05-20-2004, 05:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I put him on either a very strong hand, a draw, or an idiot with AQ/KQ

[/ QUOTE ]

If the button had AQ/KQ he pretty much has to raise there with the 2 players behind him.

Yeknom58
05-20-2004, 05:53 PM
I'm not sure where you're playing exactly but in the party games I play in the "average" player will fold AQ preflop about 0.0001 percent of the time and KQ about 0.01% of the time...yes, even if it's 3 cold.

I think I would have thrown one more raise on the flop. Then called down if capped. I think there is too stong a possibility that he has KQ or AQ.

Brian
05-20-2004, 06:02 PM
Yeknom,

I agree that KQ or AQ is a likely possibility. But, being that we were heads-up, and my opponent seemed willing to bet my hand for me, I didn't see a problem with letting him do it. If he does indeed have AQ or KQ, I miss out on 1 or 2 small bets depending on how you continue with the hand. If he has QQ, 99, or something like JT, I'll be losing at least 2 small bets, and probably more, depending on how he plays his hand.

-Brian

Nate tha' Great
05-20-2004, 06:16 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Yeknom,

I agree that KQ or AQ is a likely possibility. But, being that we were heads-up, and my opponent seemed willing to bet my hand for me, I didn't see a problem with letting him do it. If he does indeed have AQ or KQ, I miss out on 1 or 2 small bets depending on how you continue with the hand. If he has QQ, 99, or something like JT, I'll be losing at least 2 small bets, and probably more, depending on how he plays his hand.

-Brian

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, but he'll have a hand like KQ a *lot* more often.

Brian
05-20-2004, 06:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Yeah, but he'll have a hand like KQ a *lot* more often.

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't think so. Perhaps I gave him too much credit.

-Brian

Trix
05-20-2004, 07:23 PM
Brian, AQ,KQ is by far his most likely hand after his flop raise. Play it that way.
Often he wont raise QQ or 99 right away as he dont want to scare people. same with JTs ( which is unlikely anyway).