PDA

View Full Version : Do I have a value bet here?

pheasant tail (no 18)
05-20-2004, 05:06 PM
4/8

In BB w/92o. Button is fairly new to table, has raised much but shown down no hands yet. 2 limpers, sb folds I rap.

Flop : 223 rainbow

I bet, folded to button who raises, I 3-bet. Button calls.

Turn: Q (223) Don't think there was a flush draw.

I bet, button calls.

River: 3 (Q223)

Do I bet this river w/ my crappy full house?

Thanks,
PT

balkii
05-20-2004, 05:28 PM
Yes. You realize only a 3, or QQ beats you right? I think he has a low pocket pair. Bet and collect your chips.

Ponks
05-20-2004, 05:30 PM
I think I'd bet here, he most likely doesnt have a 3. I'm guessing something like 6's or 7's.

Ponks

Trix
05-20-2004, 05:32 PM
Yes, a medium pocket pair is probably his most likely hand.

bdk3clash
05-20-2004, 05:39 PM
Note that the magic number here is 1/3--if our hero's opponent has a 3 1/3 of the time or more, it's -EV to bet, since his opponent will inevitably raise (assuming our hero will call, which he should.)

If the opponent has a 3 less than 1/3 of the time here, betting is +EV.

Personally, I'd check-call, but I'm a weak-tight sniveller.

pheasant tail (no 18)
05-20-2004, 06:43 PM
Thanks for replies. Though I agreed with all other replies, I think bdk3clash's comments are most relevant. I did put button on small PP or A3s when he didn't 4-bet on flop or raise turn. Talked myself into his having a small PP when he called flop reraise and turn. When river came, I knew I might be beat, but after 4 months of reading posts here, there is a little man on my right shoulder a la Animal house that yells "bet the river". I now usually listen and have gone from barely making gas money to card room to fair winner. But I do not yet have the descression that I wish.

So the real question is not what the results were, but whether to make the bet or not. My feeling was the same as other respondents and I bet, was raised, called and shown 34s. If I think its a good bet, I'll make it again regardless of this hand. I'm just trying to learn how to know. Perhaps I should ask myself what Joe Strummer would do.

Thanks all for help,

PT

bdk3clash
05-21-2004, 03:15 PM
Just because I was "right," doesn't mean I was right.

PS-Joe would have bet out for sure.

lil'
05-21-2004, 04:45 PM
I'd bet this. A lot of people raise this flop because it looks like a steal attempt by you.

Bob T.
05-22-2004, 03:50 AM
Yes, you will get called by overpairs.

Good luck,
play well,

Bob T.

bdk3clash
05-22-2004, 09:02 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Yes, you will get called by overpairs.

[/ QUOTE ]

More than 2/3rds of the time?

Bob T.
05-22-2004, 11:14 AM
More than 2/3 of the time your opponent will have an overpair, and will call. After I wrote this, I thought about it, and I wondered if you checked, how often those same overpairs would bet. I think that you might not be missing out, if you check, because your opponent will usually bet those hands, so checking to elicit a bet from those overpairs might be a better line because it doesn't risk a raise from a 3.

Good luck,
play well,

Bob T.

Ralph Wiggum
05-22-2004, 11:22 AM
After the Hero 3-bet the flop and led the turn, I doubt that an overpair would bet this board.