PDA

View Full Version : Do I need to be flamed for this 2/4 hand?

chesspain
05-20-2004, 03:22 PM
Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (8 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

The CO in this hand has been somewhat tricky-aggressive on the cheap streets, but pretty much stays in line on the later streets. Although he may view me as fairly tight-aggressive, we went head-to-head on a prior hand where I bluff checkraised him with AJo on QQ59 board, after which I rivered an ace to beat his 88.

Preflop: chesspain is BB with A/images/graemlins/heart.gif, T/images/graemlins/heart.gif.
UTG folds, UTG+1 folds, MP1 folds, MP2 folds, CO calls, Button folds, SB completes, chesspain checks.

Flop: (3 SB) 5/images/graemlins/spade.gif, Q/images/graemlins/heart.gif, A/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(3 players) </font>
SB checks, chesspain checks, <font color="CC3333">CO bets</font>, SB folds, chesspain calls.
<font color="blue"> I was waiting until the turn to raise</font>.

Turn: (2.50 BB) A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(2 players) </font>
chesspain checks, <font color="CC3333">CO bets</font>, chesspain calls. <font color="blue">
Now since it seems unlikely for him to have an ace, I was afraid he would fold to a checkraise...so I decided to wait for the river.</font>

River: (4.50 BB) 5/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(2 players) </font>
<font color="CC3333">chesspain bets</font>, CO folds. <font color="blue">
When the board paired, I panicked for some reason, and was afraid he wouldn't bet...so I bet, and hoped he would call my "bluff."...DOH </font>.

Final Pot: 5.50 BB
<font color="#990066">Main Pot: 4.50 BB, won by chesspain.</font>
<font color="#990066">Pot 2: 1 BB, overbet by chesspain.</font>

Results in white below: <font color="white">
chesspain shows Ah Th (full house, aces full of fives).
Outcome: chesspain wins 5.50 BB. </font>

Festus22
05-20-2004, 03:29 PM
Raise preflop?

I think betting out on the turn actually would look more like you didn't have an ace and were trying to pull a fast one. That play seems to be more prevalent these days and if he's half-way decent, he'd be more inclined to call or even raise.

Strike
05-20-2004, 03:30 PM
If I knew he would bet, I would have check-raised the turn. He would probably not fold when betting out twice unless on a bluff. After seeing your preivous semi-bluff he would probably still call on the river, if not you made the extra BB on the turn.

Rico Suave
05-20-2004, 03:35 PM
Hey Chesspain:

Why no preflop raise?

Also, go ahead and c/r the turn. You did it to him a few hands back so he may not believe you here and call you down.
Of course, if he knows that you know that he would think you are bluffing, then he might lay it down. But of course if he thought that you knew that he knows that you know.....

--Rico

sfer
05-20-2004, 03:39 PM
What happened preflop Chess? I would follow through on your plan and checkraise him on the turn because he might have a flush or gutshot draw that he would call with there.

Guido
05-20-2004, 03:40 PM
I raise preflop, bet the flop, turn and river...

Guido

MaxPower
05-20-2004, 04:07 PM
Its nice to see you are out of the weak-tight phase. Now you are in the fancy play phase. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

If this guy is so tricky on the flop, why don't you go to war with him then.

chesspain
05-20-2004, 04:39 PM
I wasn't intending to be fancy in this hand, although ultimately that was the outcome that came from my attempts to string along an opponent against whom I was confident I had the better hand. I obviously should have raised preflop, but since I also assumed that he would not have openlimped with a better ace, I tried to give myself a chance to extract some extra bets from him if an ace flopped.

I still think that the flop checkcall was O.K., especially given that the SB had already folded by the time the action returned to me. Once the turn brought the second ace, I had decided to wait until the river to raise, since I figured that he would be more likely to call a raise on the end, rather than on the turn (assuming that he wasn't on a draw). Unfortunately, while I was in the hand I forgot about the turn bluff raise suckout I had pulled on him earlier, which would likely have led him to call a turn checkraise, and would have allowed me to garner this extra bet before the river.

Once the river brought the double pairing, I was so discombobulated that I bet rather than to try continue with my plan to checkraise.

Well, I guess I can say "misplayed on every street." /images/graemlins/blush.gif