PDA

View Full Version : Negreanu screwup?

DoctorDrew
05-20-2004, 11:04 AM
Did Daniel N. turn over his cards (A3d) before Hoyt called his all-in bet last night? I know there was no chance of Hoyt folding when he only had to call a small bet relative to the pot. But it looked like when Hoyt said, "Good call," Daniel flipped his cards over. Then Hoyt indicated he was calling the re-raise.

Did anyone else see this? Looked like a bad home game.

Rushmore
05-20-2004, 11:14 AM
I did notice this, but both players at the table knew that there was NO WAY that Hoyt could fold any two cards at that point.

Technically, I think it was a rule infraction.

But much like marginal string bets, I think it's safe to say that nobody is calling for a ruling here.

DoctorDrew
05-20-2004, 11:21 AM
I don't think it was a big deal, either. It just made me laugh to see a "professional" make this mistake.

Daliman
05-20-2004, 11:44 AM
Actually, DN said "call" then turned over his cards. I believe he may have had <T10000 after this, but not sure, but HC was cool about it, and of course there no hand he folds here. DN i thought played very well overall, but got no cards to work with. Normally, he doesn't need them, but vs these guys, it helps.

elwoodblues
05-20-2004, 11:47 AM
The way I remember it isn't that Daniel said "call," rather he said "all in" and then flipped his cards over before Hoyt called the very small raise that resulted from the all-in bet.

Daliman
05-20-2004, 11:58 AM
possible, i may have misheard.

jdl22
05-20-2004, 12:07 PM
I think he said call as well. Am I correct in assuming that given that he said call he should not be allowed to raise?

It seemed clear that he thought Hoyt had put him all in. He also made some comment like "I know if I fold this he won't stop, it'll be all in, all in, all in."

DoctorDrew
05-20-2004, 12:12 PM
Ooh, I didn't hear him say call. I thought he said all-in. In any case he did push all his chips into the center and then flipped his cards over. So that would be 2 screwups for this hand. And the man calls himself a professional? /images/graemlins/wink.gif

Daliman
05-20-2004, 12:30 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Ooh, I didn't hear him say call. I thought he said all-in. In any case he did push all his chips into the center and then flipped his cards over. So that would be 2 screwups for this hand. And the man calls himself a professional? /images/graemlins/wink.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
yes, he does. and a top one, at that.

Rushmore
05-20-2004, 01:02 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Actually, DN said "call" then turned over his cards. I believe he may have had <T10000 after this, but not sure, but HC was cool about it, and of course there no hand he folds here. DN i thought played very well overall, but got no cards to work with. Normally, he doesn't need them, but vs these guys, it helps.

[/ QUOTE ]

Although this is true, Sexton made a great point as Negreanu was leaving the table, yapping at Gus about he "didn't get even a single pair, the whole time, etc."...
He said...

"I got news for you, Daniel--nobody did."

Don't get me wrong; Negreanu obviously has a great game. But it seems like he's talking to the cameras a little in this episode. Turning and talking to the crowd ("see, I have fans"), the comment to Hansen at the end ("see, I was unlucky"), the comment to Corkins when he called with the A5 ("see, there's a rationale to what I'm doing"), etc.

I dunno. Maybe I just don't care for his manner at the table. Perhaps this view began to germinate when he made his "can't even buy a car with that" comment after the Sands. Or maybe it was after the extensive Annie Duke slagging online. Or maybe after the raise the roof howling frat boy "Poker Crew" routine last year.

Anyway...uh, I, uh...

What was I saying?

CrisBrown
05-20-2004, 01:34 PM
Hi Drew,

The only real mistake I saw Daniel make all night was when he bet T50K on his straight after the third diamond fell at the river and Hoyt checked. Hoyt was never going to pay off that bet; he couldn't call without the flush. And with the size if the bet, if he reraised it would have been to set Daniel all in, which would have been a very difficult call to make. So Daniel risked T50K to win nothing. He'd have been checking behind and showing down his straight, or making a smaller bet to invite a bluff-raise. Other than that, though, I thought he played very well.

Cris

Daliman
05-21-2004, 03:09 AM
Nobody did?
Gus didn't KO a guy who had JJ?
hoyt didn't have QQ vs GH's 62o chipoff?
No tmuch, mind you, but DN was DEFINITELY shortchanges in the card department. It happens. I think he was less bemoaning his bad luck and more wishing he could have had a few hands to work with and mix it up with a couple of the top guys out there right now, especially in his first WPT appearance.
Course, i'm a DN fan, so take this as you will.