PDA

View Full Version : How should I have played this 66 hand?

BigBaitsim (milo)
05-19-2004, 11:55 PM
Near the start of a local yokel tourney, 11 handed. Almost everyone has close to 10K chips. Table is mostly loose-weak, with one TAG, two LAGs and one SuperLAG who will throw in his whole stack on a bluff without a blink, but can fold when he's beat, which is a skill many at the table lack. I'm the tightest player at the table, and everyone knows it.

Blinds are 200/400. Uber-lag is SB, I'm BB and dealt 66. 6 limpers to the SB, who completes. I raise just 500, which I think will likely be called by most. EVERYONE calls. (7200 in pot).

8-handed, the flop comes 335. SB checks and I bet 2K. The table folds around to SuperLAG SB who raises 5K.

What do I do?

NotMitch
05-19-2004, 11:59 PM
Fold and kick yourself for the preflop raise. What were you hoping to do with that?

BigBaitsim (milo)
05-20-2004, 12:19 AM
I raised pre-flop (something I've never done at a full table) with 66 because I expected to get 7 callers for this smallish raise, and did (am I thinking too much like a limit player here?). I had planned to fold if the flop missed me or check-raise all-in if it hit. The LAGs at the table respond to any sign of weakness with a large bet, and generally build nice stacks with the chips of the loose-weak players who can't understand why the three LAGs always hit their hands. /images/graemlins/confused.gif

trumpman84
05-20-2004, 03:07 AM
Well, your big problem was raising on the big blind with 66. Not only that, your raise wasn't big enough to knock anybody out. The less callers you have when holding a PP, the more likely it'll hold up but you justify your raise on the BB by saying you raised because you were "hoping" for callers? Now you have 66 vs 7 callers and a good chunk of money invested into the pot...which I would think that at least 6 of the 8 overcards of 66 are on someone's hand. Unless you get a 6 (two outs) somewhere, you are going to lose most definetly.

NotMitch
05-20-2004, 11:05 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I raised pre-flop (something I've never done at a full table) with 66 because I expected to get 7 callers for this smallish raise, and did (am I thinking too much like a limit player here?). I had planned to fold if the flop missed me or check-raise all-in if it hit. The LAGs at the table respond to any sign of weakness with a large bet, and generally build nice stacks with the chips of the loose-weak players who can't understand why the three LAGs always hit their hands. /images/graemlins/confused.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

In NL the only way to play 66 in this situation is for a set. If these guys are really LAG you will get paid off if you hit the set if you raise preflop or not. Do you really want to build a huge pot against everyone at the table out of position with 66? How many flops that dont have a 6 in them do you like?

BigBaitsim (milo)
05-20-2004, 04:16 PM
Okay, now I get it. I screwed up. /images/graemlins/frown.gif