PDA

View Full Version : gus is one lucky SOB

arod4276
05-19-2004, 11:36 PM
made numerous questionable calls anf got away with most all of them. he is great for sure but dam he somehow draws out alot. arod4276

RPatterson
05-20-2004, 01:10 AM
I bet Gus is such a math wiz that all of his "questionable" calls are actually correct, but we can't expect to grasp it.

Clarkmeister
05-20-2004, 01:13 AM
He looks like he wants to eat small babies.

Dynasty
05-20-2004, 02:02 AM
[ QUOTE ]
...but we can't expect to grasp it.

[/ QUOTE ]

You can give this kind of "worship" a rest. It isn't very difficult to grasp his play.

The only call which seemed particularly bad was the one early in the show with Q9o after the small stack pushed all-in. The problem with the call wasn't the Small Stack but that Negraneau was also in the hand. Then again, he can often expect the post-flop action to go check-check, check-check, check-check even if Negraneau makes a hand since the #1 priority is to have somebody knock out the Small Stack.

Maybe somebody can remind me of another questionable call.

Dynasty
05-20-2004, 02:04 AM
[ QUOTE ]
dam he somehow draws out alot.

[/ QUOTE ]

He draws out no more or no less than mathematically expected. When you accept this, you'll improve your poker thinking.

joker122
05-20-2004, 02:37 AM
Yeah, and what's with all the facial tics?

RPatterson
05-20-2004, 03:01 AM
He probably is on illegal stimulants when he plays poker. Gus is so cool.

sublime
05-20-2004, 07:35 AM
[ QUOTE ]
He probably is on illegal stimulants when he plays poker. Gus is so cool.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is getting creepy

cjromero
05-20-2004, 08:04 AM
I have a question on the Q9o hand. Given the amount of money in the pot, couldn't Gus have expected Daniel to come along for the ride if he decided to call? And if so, wouldn't that give Gus the correct implied odds to make the call? I think he would be getting about 3.5 to 1.

sublime
05-20-2004, 08:18 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I have a question on the Q9o hand. Given the amount of money in the pot, couldn't Gus have expected Daniel to come along for the ride if he decided to call? And if so, wouldn't that give Gus the correct implied odds to make the call? I think he would be getting about 3.5 to 1.

[/ QUOTE ]

Daniel could also have a real hand and push Gus out.

Festus22
05-20-2004, 09:23 AM
I think the 6-2o call in the BB against Corkins button raise (with queens) was a little over the top and the big flop bet with the ace on board reeked of a steal attempt. Gus would almost always check the flop or bet small if he had an ace. I give Corkins credit for calling with his queens there. I think he sensed Gus was weak.

doggin
05-20-2004, 09:53 AM
his reads on people have got to be extra-ordinary too.
You have got a thing for this guy don't you?

doggin
05-20-2004, 09:55 AM
yes yes yes and hell yes, I wish I could play poker like him.
He still looks like a convict.

Vagos
05-20-2004, 10:11 AM
He didn't call with 62o, he re-raised Hoyt preflop and then led out on an Ace high flop as most people would do on a bluff. I thought Gus played well and deserved to win despite the T9 suckout.
-Andy

Daliman
05-20-2004, 11:37 AM
[ QUOTE ]
He didn't call with 62o, he re-raised Hoyt preflop and then led out on an Ace high flop as most people would do on a bluff. I thought Gus played well and deserved to win despite the T9 suckout.
-Andy

[/ QUOTE ]

I disagree totally. Hoyt deserved the win, up until he unraveled after the bad beat. He completely outplayed Gus using his style against him. Questionable calls; the Q high call vs HC's K's full, and the call on the river with 2nd pair vs HC's staright. Yes, he has been very lucky. As far as him not sucking out more than anyone else, i'm sure that's true, but on TV, he has been WAY luckier than average. Even the time Paul phillips KO'd him, it was a coinflip on the flop, but 6 outer on river, yes. I am seeing more people playing good counter strategy vs him though, he's just catching really well on final tables along with the fact that he often doesn't need the cards. I dont think i've ever seen this guy in a major pot take a single actual bad beat on tv.

CrisBrown
05-20-2004, 01:30 PM
Hi Daliman,

[ QUOTE ]
Questionable calls; the Q high call vs HC's K's full, and the call on the river with 2nd pair vs HC's staright.

[/ QUOTE ]

Both of these were auto-calls given the pot odds and the probability that Hoyt may be bluffing. Another advantage of the very aggressive style played by Gus, Hoyt, Daniel, and many others is that opponents almost have to call small value bets/raises at the river, because these players bluff so frequently.

Cris

Rushmore
05-20-2004, 01:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Both of these were auto-calls

[/ QUOTE ]

Without going into the obvious reasons, this statement is inaccurate.

iash
05-20-2004, 01:53 PM
Did anyone catch the move Gus made late in the tournament against Daniel..i don't remember the particulars of the hand, but Gus was debating a river bet and he 'faked' a bet.

He had some chips in his hand and he made a motion as if he were throwing them in the pot, yet he didn't. The announcers chalked this up to indecision, but it seems like this was a planned move designed to observe Daniels reaction.

He eventually called anyway and took down the pot.

Sorry the details are sketchy.

J.R.
05-20-2004, 02:13 PM
Gus' 66 v Daniel's KQ I believe. He made a similar move against Hoyt earlier (I think the 62o hand when Hoyt raised with QQ on the button). This "juke" move seems to be SOP for Phil Ivey, who made this numerous times duing the WPO in season one of the WPT, as well as durign the WSOP on ESPN.

The Prince
05-20-2004, 02:55 PM
Hi,

I think watching WPT events on TV proves some points.

First, poker tournaments have a huge amount of luck in them. Not taking away anything from Gus, he's an excellent player. But to actually win, you must get lucky a few times (this goes for every player). And by lucky I don't necessarily mean to outdraw someone, it might just mean to win your coin flips The day you are 4/4 in your coin flips, you'll be in great shape, if you are only 2/4, it will probably be very tought to win.

Second. Poker is a great game because it's so easy to learn, and because it's so easy to think you know everything (not talking about anyone here). What I mean is that you see a good player raise or call a raise with 45o and instantly mediocre players start doing it. They don't appreciate the many reasons why the pro actually does it.

Also, it's very hard to completely understand the reasons why player act the way they do in a televised event. The reason is because you only get to see a very small sample of the hands played.

Nicolas Fradet (The Prince)
www.wptinsider.com (http://www.wptinsider.com)

Brain
05-20-2004, 09:44 PM
he really did look like a convict last night.

Daliman
05-21-2004, 03:14 AM
definitely caught that. Pulled that out from his bag of tricks, lol. Zero affect on DN though.

Kurn, son of Mogh
05-21-2004, 08:17 AM
And by lucky I don't necessarily mean to outdraw someone

Agreed. It sure helps when you get AA that somebody else at the table has KK.

Kurn, son of Mogh
05-21-2004, 08:27 AM
numerous questionable calls

Having seen Hoyt Corkins play, I don't consider Gus' calls *that* questionable.

Sharingan
05-21-2004, 08:37 AM
Who is Gus?

blackaces13
05-21-2004, 08:42 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Who is Gus?

[/ QUOTE ]

Well if you'd bothered to look you'd see right on this very page that Gus Hanson is the coolest guy ever. Enough said.