PDA

View Full Version : AJ

Trix
05-19-2004, 10:27 PM
Party Poker 3/6 Hold'em (10 handed) - No read on the guy /images/graemlins/frown.gif

Preflop: Hero is MP3 with J/images/graemlins/spade.gif, A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif.
UTG calls, UTG+1 calls, UTG+2 folds, MP1 folds, MP2 folds, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, CO folds, Button calls, SB folds, BB folds, UTG calls, UTG+1 calls.

Flop: (9.33 SB) J/images/graemlins/club.gif, 5/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 2/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(4 players) </font>
UTG checks, UTG+1 checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, Button calls, UTG folds, UTG+1 folds.

Turn: (5.66 BB) 2/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(2 players) </font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">Button raises</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">Button caps</font>, Hero calls.

<font color="green"> I think I should have folded to the cap or just called the raise, rather than 3betting. </font>

River: (13.66 BB) 5/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(2 players) </font>
Hero checks, <font color="CC3333">Button bets</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 15.66 BB

Ponks
05-19-2004, 10:32 PM
I think I'd call the raise and check/call the river. If he calls your 3-bet do you bet and fold to a raise on the river? or check hoping to check through or check/call? I think calling the raise is the best option then check/call the river. Although I am having a hard time putting him on a hand that he'd coldcall with that would cap the turn here. Maybe a slowplayed overpair, but I think just about anyone would 3-bet, although I have seen it, but I dont think he'd cap the turn with that, but maybe. Possibly A2 diamonds if he's loose preflop?

Anyone else have any thoughts?

Ponks

zuluking
05-19-2004, 10:36 PM
Tough decision. I would call his turn raise, then check/call the river like you did.

Trix
05-19-2004, 10:48 PM
Thinking about it, I dont think this can be played differently than calling his first raise and check-calling the river, since I´m out of position. Die thread...

He had 55.

As a bonus question: If I had position, would the 3bet and fold to a cap line ever be good in a 3/6 game ?

Ponks
05-19-2004, 10:54 PM
Not sure, for you to have position he'd be checkraising and that shows a lot of strength to me already without the cap. I think you'd definitely be way behind if you had position and did this, so I guess folding to the cap would be ok, but I think I'd rather get to a showdown for the same price as a 3-bet. I don't think you'll get him to fold to the 3-bet if he check-raised you which is one of the benefits of the raise the turn take the free showdown trick.

What do you think??

Ponks

Trix
05-19-2004, 11:04 PM
The reason to 3bet a CR with is that he might have a flushdraw.

Ponks
05-19-2004, 11:12 PM
Ahh I see, well if you are confident in that read then go for it, seems like it would work against any reasonable opponent to me, although I dont see very many people checkraise flush draws on the turn at 3/6, but then again I am new there and only played like 7k hands there, and there are some crazy people.

Damn poker is so complex

Ponks

Trix
05-19-2004, 11:17 PM
You have played more hands there than me, then.

Ponks
05-19-2004, 11:19 PM
Guess I'm just not very good yet then :P

chesspain
05-20-2004, 01:41 AM
Once you're heads-up on the turn, I don't see much point to three-betting, unless you're planning to fold to a cap. My first reaction to his turn raise was that it was legitimate, as if he had 55 or A2, although I guess he could be getting jiggy with something like 99 if he's putting you on unimproved overcards. However, since it is heads-up, I would probably have just called this raise and then checkcalled the river.

StellarWind
05-20-2004, 12:27 PM
There is a real chance he is jerking you around with second pair using the pair of twos as cover. He's hoping to charge/fold you when you are drawing and expecting a free showdown when you have a pair. But you are usually in trouble and accordingly I would call the turn raise and check-call the river.

Bet-folding the river if a third club comes is an interesting idea for extracting an extra bet when you are ahead.

You mention the variation where you and button switch seats and he checkraises you on the turn. With no read and no obvious outs I fold. If he's brilliant enough to bluff here then he deserves the pot. I won't spend 2 BB trying to stop a play that looks great on paper but no one ever makes in the games where I play.

arkady
05-20-2004, 12:32 PM
Trix,

Havent read the results, but the opponent behavior is VERY similar to that of a flopped set. What can he really be raising with you if you think about it? Another J would have done so on the flop, he doesnt seem to have overpair.

I think you are drawing dead on the turn...i really do. 3 betting on the turn seems a bit over aggressive personally, just call and check/call river, given the betting pattern and unknown I believe you might be better off in the longrun.