PDA

View Full Version : Party 10/20 vs 5/10 (maybe 15/30 as well)

BugsBunny
05-19-2004, 08:49 PM
So I've been playing 5/10 for a day and have 1K hands in. I'm making 25BB/100 and figure this game is easy. I have a 3K BR and want to jump to 10/20 or 15/30 and I'm wondering what the games are like there /images/graemlins/smile.gif

All kidding aside - I'm doing well at 5/10 and have the BR for 10/20 (at least) and I'll almost certainly be trying 10/20 in the near future, and then (if 10/20 goes well) 15/30. I'm just wondering how much tougher the games there really are compared to 5/10.

I've also been hearing that 15/30 is maybe easier than 10/20. Don't know how much creedence to put into that impression though.

Obviously I'll find out for myself but a little advance scouting report won't hurt. So if anyone could oblige I'd appreciate it.

Ulysses
05-19-2004, 08:59 PM
The 10/20 and 15/30 games are an order of magnitude more aggressive than the 5/10. Perhaps the single biggest difference is the frequency of turn bluff/semi-bluff raises. Super thin or bluff river raises and checkraises a close second. Expect double (or more) the swings (in terms of BB) you experienced at 5/10.

stripsqueez
05-19-2004, 09:55 PM
the big U told me a while ago on this forum that the 15/30 game was weird - he was right

there are some bizarre players who frequent that game - there are also some very good players in the 15/30 school - my results suggest the 15/30 is a better game in terms of win rate but its early days - as there are only 3 tables of 15/30 offered and i'm a bit choosy its hard to accumulate a heap of hands quickly

if you are doing some scouting and come across teasertree or absni you will see what i mean - super loose and often super aggro

the 10/20 game is definately tougher than the 5/10 - my general impression over a reasonable number of hands is dominated by the number of guys who see too many flops but not way too many - say 35-40% flops seen with a pre-flop raise % of always

stripsqueez - chickenhawk

Requeim
05-19-2004, 10:37 PM
There are only 3 15/30 SH tables, but the games can be very good at times, scout ahead. At peak evening hours, there are plenty of good 10/20 6 max tables to pick from. Be prepared to see whole lot of aggression on every street of betting and a lot of turn semi bluffing.

You have only 1k hands in 5/10 and only 150BB for 10/20. I think we beat the topic of bankroll requirement to death in the previous thread.

Schneids
05-20-2004, 12:49 AM
[ QUOTE ]

You have only 1k hands in 5/10 and only 150BB for 10/20. I think we beat the topic of bankroll requirement to death in the previous thread.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you missed his humor /images/graemlins/smile.gif

BugsBunny
05-20-2004, 03:59 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

As Schneids said I think you missed the humor part. If you look at my response in the previous thread I think you'll see that I tend to fall on the conservative (some would say ultraconservative) side for BR requirements.

Let's just say that I have at least 500 BB (all earned at the tables) for 10/20 and leave it at that. Trust me - I'm living off poker at the moment and treat my bankroll very carefully - it's an extremely precious thing to me since if I lost it I'd be in big trouble. As a matter of fact based on some of the comments here I might be staying at 5/10 a while longer than originally planned to get more cushion - although I'll take a shot or 2 (or even 3) before that. Maybe I'll run good.

That's more or less how I got started in 5/10 6 max, although I was literally crushing (by any realistic definition of the word) the 3/6 game at the time. Started off (in 5/10 6 max) like a banshee, then hit an extended down streak - found some holes where I was bleeding chips postflop (especially in exactly the types of conditions that people have said exist at 10/20) and things have now turned around considerably (SD has decreased by better than 2 BB/100 in the period since I made adjustments compared to the downstreak and earn has changed drastically. How much is just good cards compared to better play is still in question, but the cards haven't been all good.)

I don't post a lot of hands because when I look it them it's usually so obvious to me where I misplayed it's like "why bother". That's liable to change as I move up though and decisions become tougher. And winners are usually boring, tend to learn more from losing hands than winning ones.

I'm definitely beating the 5/10 game at the moment but I need more hands before I can say with any degree of real confidence what my winrate is - especially since I'm playing differently (better) now than when I started so those earlier hands are tainting the overall picture (which still shows a decent winner).

Thanks for all the comments everyone, much appreciated.