PDA

View Full Version : Wacky WSOP final table

Ulysses
05-19-2004, 07:07 PM
$5k limit final table (http://www.pokerpages.com/interactive/pokerforum/viewtopic.php?t=3871&sid=11c6cf63c3fabf8754f8b1c53 de2da55)

"Powers is on a rampage. His style of play can conservatively be described as hyper-aggressive. He is, in poker parlance, a complete maniac. He plays nearly every hand. He often reraises whenever the action comes to him, frequently making it four or five bets preflop. Several times, he has raised in the dark preflop.

Those players who confront Powers must be prepared to commit a minimum of five big bets to the hand. Every pot he plays is enormous. It is interesting to watch the table try to adjust to him. When they reraise him in an effort to isolate, he simply reraises when it gets back to him. Since they are disregarding his raises completely, he gets paid off handsomely when he hits his hand.

Powers has some quirks in addition to his style of play. He frequently leaves the table during play to answer his cell phone. He often misses hands, including his own big blinds. Once, he answered his phone during play and told the table to "Hold up" while he took the call. Sometimes, he disappears from the room entirely.

Reportedly, he was openly taunting T.J. Cloutier, telling T.J. that he was "unable to finish" (in regards to frequently reaching final tables but not winning the tournaments).

Powers's story, as I understand it, is that he was a destitute homeless man who hung out at the Horseshoe watching the poker games. He scraped together enough money to enter some small tournaments, and won. Powers continued playing poker and parlayed his winnings with considerable success. He went on to win some major tournaments at the Bicycle, and today he made a WSOP final table. "

ThePopinjay
05-19-2004, 07:31 PM
August 24 9-10PM World Series of Poker: Limit Hold 'Em World Championship on ESPN

Should be good /images/graemlins/smile.gif

blackaces13
05-19-2004, 07:32 PM
That guy sounds hilarious.

PapaSan
05-19-2004, 09:28 PM
gonna be great to watch the coverage of the wsop on espn hopefully the $1,500 razz event will be televised as well.

5:04 PM
Cloutier wins an enormous pot from Boyd, knocking Boyd down to around $35,000. Cloutier has around $140,000.

4:56 PM
Here's something to look for on ESPN. A shapely, voluptuous blonde (I'm informed her name is Jill Spalding) approaches T.J Cloutier during a hand and flashes him one of her breasts. Her nipple is covered by a heart-shaped pastis. Cloutier's wife, who is seated in the press row, appears unconcerned.

4:50 PM
Cloutier busts out Juanda in 5th place

cosmo kramer
05-20-2004, 02:20 AM
6:56 PM
Powers loudly poses the question "Have you ever lived under a bridge?" I'm not sure if this was directed at a specific player, or at the table in general.

I can't wait until this is on ESPN. Should be awesome.