PDA

View Full Version : Slowplay here?

joker122
05-19-2004, 06:16 PM
I've played alot of hands with MP2 and MP3 and they are both solid, TAG players. For this reason, I think it may have been better to CR the turn and extract a little more from them because they know how to get away from a good hand.

Party Poker 3/6 Hold'em (10 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is UTG+2 with 6/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif.
UTG folds, UTG+1 calls, Hero calls, MP1 calls, <font color="CC3333">MP2 raises</font>, MP3 calls, CO folds, Button folds, SB folds, BB folds, UTG+1 calls, Hero calls, MP1 calls.

Flop: (11.33 SB) 8/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 6/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 6/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(5 players) </font>
UTG+1 checks, Hero checks, MP1 checks, <font color="CC3333">MP2 bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">MP3 raises</font>, UTG+1 folds, <font color="CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, MP1 folds, MP2 folds, MP3 calls.

Turn: (9.16 BB) 4/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(2 players) </font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP3 folds.

Final Pot: 10.16 BB

Results in white below: <font color="white">
No showdown. Hero wins 10.16 BB. </font>

Clarkmeister
05-19-2004, 06:23 PM
Yeah, you overplayed this one. I'd tend to bet the flop since that tends to raise the fewest red flags. You don't like to make the "I've got a six" coldcall on the flop, but you really don't have much choice given the action.

Of course, remember this hand down the road when you have something like a flush draw or open ender against this lineup. Play them the same way and you could drastically improve your chances of stealing.....

Brian
05-19-2004, 06:25 PM
Hi Joker,

I don't know the exact context of your table, but I think you made a loose call pre-Flop with 2 TAG players sitting behind you. Also, I'm not so sure how TAG MP3 is with his cold-call pre-Flop /images/graemlins/cool.gif.

In general I am not that big of a fan, especially at the lower limits, of slowplay. I prefer to ram and jam it up ASAP because you don't really need to slowplay to extract a lot of money from players. Plus, they just love to cold-call the Flop then fold the Turn. But, against solid, thinking players, sometimes mixing up your play and being tricky is needed.

I think this is one of those situations where Mason Malmuth would ask "What do you think about your opponents, and how do your opponents perceive you?" If they truly are tight, solid players, then your cold-call will look suspicious to them, especially if they think you are a solid player.

Overall, I don't think it makes that big of a difference how you play it in the long run. I'd generally 3-bet the Flop out of habit, but going for a check-raise on the Turn might not be so bad either. You wouldn't lose that much on the Flop since MP2 will probably call the raise most of the time (he folded to the 3-bet), and generally one of these aggressive players will find a bet on the Turn when checked to. I could see arguments for both. Sorry I didn't answer your question too clearly. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

-Brian

joker122
05-19-2004, 06:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]

I don't know the exact context of your table, but I think you made a loose call pre-Flop with 2 TAG players sitting behind you. Also, I'm not so sure how TAG MP3 is with his cold-call pre-Flop .

[/ QUOTE ]

This is true.

[ QUOTE ]

In general I am not that big of a fan, especially at the lower limits, of slowplay. I prefer to ram and jam it up ASAP because you don't really need to slowplay to extract a lot of money from players.

[/ QUOTE ]

This was kind of the point of the post though. My two opponents were not the typical low limit players. MP3 is fully capable of folding an overpair here and not pay me off.

joker122
05-19-2004, 06:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I'd tend to bet the flop since that tends to raise the fewest red flags.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow, I've actually never used this play or considered the concept behind it. Thanks Clark.