PDA

View Full Version : VoIP, Whats the Outlook

JTrue
05-19-2004, 05:49 PM
I was just reading about VoIP which is technology where you can call from a broadband connection, this has probably been around for a while but I was just wondering if people think it would be worth putting some money into a fund that contain companies such as Vonage, AT&T, Cablevision Systems. Thanks

BadBoyBenny
05-19-2004, 07:33 PM
There is a lot of uncertainty about how VOIP will play out. The baby bells are demanding and aggressively lobbying for FCC regulation and taxes similar to what they must deal with and collect. If that comes in, a lot of the upside will be gone as the technology may be about as expensive as your phone company. If it doesn't there will be a lot of money to be made. I don't know much more about the industry and I generally stay away from telecom, though I did just buy one company I think is undervalued.

I don't like AT&T at all and never have, don't know anything about the other two though.

Non_Comformist
05-20-2004, 02:32 AM
I looked long and hard at At&T and decided I wouldn't touch it. Im not sure what they are doing with the new forray into cell. Im not sure they know what they are doing either. It seems to be a matter of time before the cellular business is turned into a commodity as well.

I think one thing people should realize is the difference between a good technology and new invention and a good investment. There is little doubt that VOIP is here to stay and has a exciting future, as can be said with Biotech's and many other things. The problem lies in finding the company which be able to use that technology to produce investor profits. History has many examples, Auto's, Airlines, computers, Internet. I personally think investing here is basically speculating and would much prefer to wait until the market sorts out or buy some sort of index/fund.