PDA

View Full Version : Is this a weak play on the turn????

NickyG
05-19-2004, 04:51 PM
Ultimate Bet 3/6 Hold'em (9 handed) It's MP1s 3rd hand at the table and I have never played with him.

Preflop: Hero is CO with K/images/graemlins/spade.gif, K/images/graemlins/heart.gif.
UTG+1 folds, MP1 raises, MP2 folds, MP3 folds, Hero 3-bets, Button folds, SB folds, BB folds, MP1 calls.

Flop: (7.33 SB) K/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 7/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, J/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(2 players) </font>
MP1 checks, Hero bets, MP1 raises, Hero 3-bets, MP1 calls.

Turn: (6.66 BB) T/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(2 players) </font>
MP1 checks, Hero checks.

With a flush and straight draw on board, I feared a check-raise. So, I checked with the intention to call the river. My options on the turn after MP1 checks:

1. Bet - If I have the best hand, the most I gain is 2BB if MP2 calls both the turn and the river bet. He could fold and I gain nothing extra from my hand. If MP2 has a straight or flush, he will most likely check-raise and if I don't improve on the river, I lose 3 more BB. On the other hand, even if MP1 check-raise, I still have correct odds to improve at the river.

2. Check - If I check with the best hand, I gain 1 BB, if he bets or calls my bet on the river. If I check with the worse hand, the most I lose is 1 extra BB.

Comments?

balkii
05-19-2004, 04:59 PM
With a flush and straight draw on board, I feared a check-raise.

The only hand he could have that beats you is AQ. If he has that, I'm confident you'll fill on the river. Just bet the turn, and deal with a checkraise when and if it happens. You are afraid of monsters under the bed.

Haupt_234
05-19-2004, 05:04 PM
He could have many more hands which you beat. Plus, if you are beat by the turn, you have 10 outs to fill up on the top boat. Bet the turn, it is a value bet 95% of the time.

Haupt_234

Rico Suave
05-19-2004, 05:06 PM
Hey Nicky:

I think you are trying to put your opponent on a hand that beats you rather than a reasonable range of hands. You do not want to give the A /images/graemlins/diamond.gif a free look at the river, and if you are raised, you have a great redraw. Bet the turn, imo.

--Rico