PDA

View Full Version : you make the call? did i screw this one up?

pokerraja
05-19-2004, 04:50 PM
$50NL SNG at PP. 4 handed. Im third in chips with only 800. both chip leaders have ~4500 each. and 4th place is down to 300. blinds are 200-400.

I get dealt AKs on the button. UTG (big stack) open raises to 1000. basically im left with decision to call all-in or fold and hope BB who is small stack and is all-in automatically loses. So I decide to fold here. SB folds.

UTG shows (6,6) and loses to BB (7,5) who wins with a pair of sevens. An Ace fell on flop! I would of won! anyways i eventually blind out and finish 4th. Did i make a major mistake? I felt like a wuss folding that hand.

BettnTibetn
05-19-2004, 04:54 PM
nope...why would you want to call that? the BB got really lucky. You rate you get in the money by folding...correct move

La Brujita
05-19-2004, 05:00 PM
Most of your equity is going to be from outlasting third. If you call you will force BB all in to beat your hand and UTG. If UTG has been playing pretty aggressive there is a good chance you are ahead. For me this is an easy call.

The interesting question is not whether you call with a monster like you had, but what moderately strong to strong hands do you call with eg JTs.

Beavis68
05-19-2004, 05:02 PM
the only thing I don't like about this is that you have almost no chance of winning now.

I don't ever let myself get below 6x the BB.

pokerraja
05-19-2004, 05:11 PM
looking back i wish i would of made the call. i guess we are both fighting for 3rd place, so its a $100 decision. thats what it boils down to. these situation are rare, but they do pop up from time to time. i guess i need to make a decision, do i push my monster hand or do i just hope and pray the BB busts out. The UTG player in this situation was an aggreseive type of player and I put him on med pair or Ax type of hand. If i call this and win , i have a good chance to make a move towards 1st or 2nd place. tough one.

NotMitch
05-19-2004, 05:15 PM
Call, you will bubble more often but you will win or finish second a lot more often.

Edit: plus the BB is all in so if both of you go out you still get 3rd.

GuidoSarducci
05-19-2004, 05:48 PM
Gotta make the move with Slick here. You're in chip trouble, and there's no guarentee that the shorter stack will bust out (as you found out). Play to win, champ!

GuidoSarducci
05-19-2004, 05:54 PM
Geez, This is a great point. Even if the both of you lose to the big stack, you're money here due to being the bigger stack.

Didn't even think about that one!