PDA

View Full Version : A bad feeling about QQ.

Grivan
05-19-2004, 03:44 PM
Its a Party 30+3 NL tournament down to 35 people left your in middle position with QQ. You have about 21,000 chips and the average stack is about 30,000. Blinds are 1,000-2,000.

UTG goes all in for approx~2500, UTG+1 calls, UTG +2 folds, UTG +3 goes all in for 60,000, up to you with QQ. What do you do?

BlackAces
05-19-2004, 03:55 PM
Call. Why would UTG+3 overbet the pot by so much unless he had a medium-strength hand and didn't want anyone messing with him? It's doubtful he'd have AA or KK for that reason, and you dominate anything else besides AK. You're a shortish stack and need chips, so I'd go for it.

gcDanno
05-19-2004, 03:58 PM
UTG is obviously short stacked and is probably playing any 2 cards. UTG +3 sees that this is a great opporunity to pick up some cheap chips with probably a good hand, AK -> AT, KQ and says to the rest of the table, "He's mine!".

It's up to you. Do you feel like gambling? What kind of read do you get from UTG +3? I have to admit, in this situation, I'd be very inclined to think you are either a small favorite (vs AK) or a huge favorite (99-JJ).

I would call it, and hope for the best. There's gonna be an awful lot of dead money in the pot. While you are not in desperate mode yet, you are still going to need some good hands to get to the real money.

Peter H
05-19-2004, 04:00 PM
i think this is your shot at the big money.

there is a good chance u are a 4.5:1 favorite here and very rarely will he reraise allin to shut everyone else out w/ AA. maybe more likely w/ KK, but there is just too good of a chance that u are up vs a hand like 99-JJ or AQ, AJs.

i think ure worst situation here is AK where ure a big advantage in other spots. plus the big money is at the top and ure only at 10 Big blinds

peter

DOTTT
05-19-2004, 04:58 PM
I'd call here and in most of these situations, I think you are a huge favorite.

legend42
05-19-2004, 05:07 PM
I think it's a call. An UTG short stack is going to push with practically anything. Did you have ANY kind of read on UTG+3? Had he been swinging his stack at around a lot?

Your call is almost certainly going to scare anyone behind you (they're gonna know you have something big), so assuming UTG+1 folds, it's you vs. UTG+3 for a huge side pot. I like your chances. I'd call.

Kurn, son of Mogh
05-19-2004, 06:17 PM
Seems like a pretty easy call to me. The first bettor doesn't need much of a hand. Any pair, any A, any K, any 2 suited. The big reraise sounds like a medium-high A or a middle pair that doesn't want anyone else in the pot. Assuming you're already in the money, this looks like a great chance to double up and have a chance at the real money.

You actually don't even care if the first bettor has AA or KK. The side pot is worth more.

Grivan
05-19-2004, 06:33 PM
My reasoning was the same as all of you so I called. The thing was I had that feeling in my stomach that I was going to regret calling, but I still logically thought I was ahead...

Of course I called and UTG turns over the other QQ, and UTG +3 turns over KK to have me drawing about as dead as I could be.

BlackAces
05-20-2004, 11:13 PM
Crap. Well, if it's any consolation, he played it pretty badly. QQ and AK are about the only trailing hands I'd even consider calling with in this spot. He got lucky you woke up with such a hand.

If I was him, I would've called and enticed someone with a decent but not fantastic hand (like a medium-high PP or A-big) to come over the top. Same result, but he has a better chance of getting someone to take the bait.