PDA

View Full Version : Phil Hellmuth: Very smart guy

Ulysses
05-19-2004, 02:13 PM
There's no question Phil is an excellent tourney player. But this paragraph from the latest cardplayer makes me think he might be one of the smartest and savviest tourney players around:

I've been very busy with the business side of poker lately: first, writing my new book (Bad Beats and Lucky Draws, due out in October); second, making a series of videos (Phil Hellmuth's Million Dollar Poker System); third, creating the new, first-class "Phil Hellmuth Chip Set" — available at philhellmuth.com — a set that includes two videos, high-quality chips, and my book Play Poker Like the Pros; fourth, representing a new cell phone hold'em game that will be released on a major carrier soon (yes, you can play hold'em on a cell phone!); fifth, signing a contract to represent the new Edge Television (a new cable station for gaming shows); sixth, playing at UltimateBet.com; seventh, selling The Madison Kid movie about my life, up to age 25, to Beacon Pictures; eighth, creating and selling my own reality show; ninth, doing my "Poker Nights" for $25,000 a night; 10th, teaching a poker class for the "Learning Annex"; and finally, talking to some very cool mainstream companies about sponsorship and a clothing line. Yikes, it's no wonder I'm so tired every day; just reading this list makes me tired!

CrackerZack
05-19-2004, 02:17 PM
I'm impressed. Marketing like crazy. Sellin' out to the man but the man has deep pockets.

NotMitch
05-19-2004, 02:30 PM
pretty sharp.

lowroller
05-19-2004, 02:47 PM
He may be a whinning bitch, but he ain't no fool!

_2000Flushes
05-19-2004, 03:40 PM
I wish I were Phil Hellmuth.

-2kF

nolanfan34
05-19-2004, 03:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I wish I were Phil Hellmuth.

-2kF

[/ QUOTE ]

If it makes you feel any better, after you and Cup posted your trip report, I think a lot of 2+2ers wish they were you guys (or Mick). Not sure if they want to be the unnamed sidekick though.

bernie
05-19-2004, 07:20 PM
One wonders if he's the one who actually came up with all the ideas or if someone else is feeding it to him riding his coattails.

If it's the latter, he is just a pawn in someone else's marketing scheme. Sure, he'd probably get paid well, but how smart do you have to be, if this is the case, to say, 'yes, poker is booming, im a very popular player, go ahead and market me'.

Smart doesnt equate with obvious.

b

prairieboy
05-19-2004, 09:02 PM
The "smart" part was Phil's making darn sure that (for years now) at every tournament, if there was a camera in the room, he was on it. He marketed himself before it was obvious that there was a big market for poker pro's.

This part is just him cashing in on his (already implemented) smart idea. Or maybe, he's just hungry for attention and got lucky, who knows? Is it better to be lucky or smart?

risen
05-20-2004, 09:43 AM
It is better to be rich, rich beats smart and lucky every time.

Inthacup
05-20-2004, 10:10 AM
rich beats smart and lucky every time

A fool and his money are soon parted.

rigoletto
05-20-2004, 11:37 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Or maybe, he's just hungry for attention

[/ QUOTE ]

We have a winner. I mean what's the reason for listing all this [censored] in a poker column!

TylerD
05-20-2004, 02:15 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I mean what's the reason for listing all this [censored] in a poker column!

[/ QUOTE ]

Promotion.