PDA

View Full Version : 44 on a steal

Gamblor
05-19-2004, 12:44 PM
Mediocre game, BB has been around for two orbits, and appears to be weak-tight. Hasn't gotten out of line.

I have a tight image after winning a few pots (BB has seen a big one of mine), and have started to steal blinds with mediocre hands.

So I get 4 /images/graemlins/spade.gif 4 /images/graemlins/club.gif in CO-1. Folded around to me, I raise.

BB calls.

Flop: 2 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif 4 /images/graemlins/heart.gif T /images/graemlins/club.gif.

BB checks, I bet, BB folds.

With no real draws and a bunch of overcards, is this a good time to check the flop? It seems a flop check after a PF raise, especially with a flop like this, nowadays is taken as extreme strength, rather than weakness.

onegymrat
05-19-2004, 01:18 PM
Hi Gamblor,

I agree. You are headsup and expected to bet. You got what you were looking for, the blind money and then some. If BB decides to play on, the punishment will be self-inflicted. It was better that no one saw your hand anyway.

Zele
05-19-2004, 01:24 PM
A check here is too suspicious for words. Bet and hope he has something.

Luke
05-19-2004, 01:30 PM
Yeah, it hurts on hands like that when you'd love to get action but your opponent folds. But you bet with your strong hands to give cover for the times you're betting here with A9s.

However, if your strategy is to sometimes check behind here with really weak hands, then I think it's ok to check behind with your really strong ones as well. That's just not my style.

Luke

elysium
05-19-2004, 01:35 PM
hi gamblor
yes. checking the flop is o.k. here.

DaShark
05-19-2004, 01:43 PM
Normally I'd bet and hope for an aggressive bb to play back against a steal. Since the bb is weak-tight I'd check and maybe wait for him to catch a piece.

Senor Choppy
05-20-2004, 12:58 PM
I used to think that it sent up too many red flags by checking here, and to some degree it does, but you give up too much here by betting. If your opponent catches a jack or queen on the turn, all the red flags in the world aren't going to allow him to get away from the hand, he's losing at least another 2 or 3 big bets if that happens.

The number of times you're going to be heads-up and flop a set after raising preflop is very small. It's not like you're giving anything away by doing this, most players make this play routinely anyway.

The only thing you're giving up by not betting is the possibility of more action from the guy if he has a ten, but even if he does you'll be able to pop him on the turn for 2 bets.