PDA

View Full Version : Huge Pot, and I just call along

Rico Suave
05-19-2004, 09:39 AM
I do not have the hand history on this one, so it is from memory. The players involved have not been maniacs.

Party Poker 3/6 (10 handed)
Rico is MP3 and holds A /images/graemlins/heart.gif Q /images/graemlins/heart.gif

UTG limps, UTG+1 limps, MP1 limps, MP2 limps, Rico raises, all fold to SB who cold calls, UTG calls, UTG+1 reraises, MP1 calls, MP2 calls, Rico calls, SB calls, UTG calls.

Flop (9 BB -- 6 players) A /images/graemlins/spade.gif J /images/graemlins/heart.gif 8 /images/graemlins/spade.gif
SB bets, UTG calls, UTG +1 raises, MP1 folds MP2 calls, Rico calls, SB reraises, UTG calls, UTG+1 calls, MP2 calls, Rico calls.

Turn: (16.5 BB -- 5 players) 2 /images/graemlins/heart.gif
SB bets, UTG calls, UTG+1 raises, MP2 folds, Rico Calls, SB reraises, UTG calls, UTG+1 calls, Rico calls.

River: (28.5 BB -- 4 players) 3 /images/graemlins/club.gif
SB checks, UTG check, UTG+1 bets, Rico calls, SB raises, UTG fold, UTG +1 calls, Rico calls.

Final pot (ginormous)

I cold called 2 on the flop with the intention of raising the turn when UTG+1 bet out again -- of course, things got a bit carried away...and I did not follow through on the turn.

Does anyone play the river differently?

Calling all the way felt wrong, but where is the best spot to raise and why?

--Rico

Quackpot
05-19-2004, 09:50 AM
A raise on the turn wouldn't have been bad. At that point you gained 9 more outs to a hand that already had a good chance of winning the pot. Everyone was already tied to the pot, so they weren't likely to go anywhere. However saving a bet or two here in a pot this size may not be a bad thing either.

BigEndian
05-19-2004, 09:51 AM
If the action played out like it did (and you aren't remembering it wrong), I'd be looking back at the hand wondering where I could have gotten away from it - not where I should have raised.

I think you can safely fold to the river check-raise regardless of how large the pot is. It looks to me by the end of the hand that you're up against two pair vs. a set. I don't know if you could fold earlier than this, but I'd love to hear from others who might have.

If you would raise anywhere, I think it has to be the turn. A flop raise does nothing, but if the turn is capped you might argue you could get some info from this - though nothing that could distibuish a nut flush draw from a set really.

- Jim

Rico Suave
05-19-2004, 09:57 AM
Hey Big Endien:

[ QUOTE ]
I'd be looking back at the hand wondering where I could have gotten away from it - not where I should have raised.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes you are right, but like you said, I think the only reasonable place to fold would be to the river c/r.....

--Rico

Rico Suave
05-19-2004, 02:26 PM
the sb had A /images/graemlins/club.gif J /images/graemlins/club.gif and takes it down with 2 pair.