PDA

View Full Version : Having a hard time building a bankroll...

Elektrik
05-19-2004, 05:28 AM
So, due to some unfortunate circumstances that slashed my bankroll, I've had to drop from my normal 3/6 tables and 30/3 SNG's to .5/1 tables and 5/1 SNGs, and I've never had a more frustrating experience before. After 3 days of play, I'm down over 100 BB and can't even place in a tourney. While I am getting paid off when I have the best hand, the consistent slew of outdraws has been absolutely killing me. I'm almost afraid to play AK now, because I know some Ax or even xx is going to call me and hit his two pair while I pay him off. Any advice on pulling through a slump like this, besides just playing a solid game and bearing with the outdraws?

Chris Daddy Cool
05-19-2004, 06:46 AM
If you're having bankroll problems, I do not suggest playing in the 5/1 SnG... That 1 dollar fee is just too much, IMO. If you're trying to play for profit, play at least the 10/1.

And remember, quoting (actually paraphrasing) the ever quotable bisonbison "Variance is the creamy center the poker twinkie." Or some cool saying like that.

k000k
05-19-2004, 08:10 AM
You WILL pull thru it if you stick to your 'A' game.. The hands you play will still win more than their fair share, you're just in a slump.. We all get slumps..

At the lower limits, you WILL get sucked out a lot more, but you will also get paid a LOT more when your hands hit.. You play drawing/multiway hands with more confidence than AK/AQ TPTK etc.. It's the game I'm used to.

Last night I was playing some higher limits than I'm used to just to get my feet wet (still considered micro around here), and when the flop hit me and I made any reasonable bet, everyone folded! I couldn't get ppl to pay me squat, it's like they were psychic or could see my cards or something.. Everyone's a lot tighter, I didn't see a pot bigger than 10BB's for a LONG time. Players definately know when they're dogs or beat much much better. It's the game you're used to, it's a different game.

bigslicks
05-19-2004, 09:28 AM
I have posted this question in three threads, hoe to get an answer.
I am mew and need to know the B reference to $$
I imagine it is bonus bucks, but need clarification.
I am going to start playing for real $$ n a week and needto know certian things I guess.
Is the lower limit, lower blinds the way to start?
Should I sit at single table SNG's 5-1 or 10-1 ( call me tarded, but I really dont know what 10-1 actually means) < so its a question too.

newbie in need

ctv1116
05-19-2004, 09:51 AM
Yea, welcome (back?) to Party micro-limit poker. If you are able to withstand a lot of the tough beats that people constantly lay on you, you'll be making much more (BB wise)than you would at your 3/6 tables. I'm sure you know this, but don't be passive. The worst thing you can do is start checking the river because you think "one of my opponents must have made that straight"

k000k
05-19-2004, 09:54 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Is the lower limit, lower blinds the way to start?

[/ QUOTE ]
Yep, you should be able to cash in on the mistakes of others in the lowest limit games. The higher you go, the less mistakes get made, ie players are tighter and fold to bets/raises more, so the same win wins you less bets.
[ QUOTE ]
Should I sit at single table SNG's 5-1 or 10-1 ( call me tarded, but I really dont know what 10-1 actually means) < so its a question too.

[/ QUOTE ]
10/1 SnG costs $11 to enter. $10 for the prize pool and $1 to the site. The 5/1 costs $6, $5 to the prize pool and $1 to the site. The 5/1's are bad because the site's fee is so high relative to the payout. You pay 20% to play a 5/1 as opposed to 10% or less for anything higher. You have to win to break even, but in a 5/1 you have to win MORE.

In tournys, the game keeps changing. Blinds go up, players get knocked out, etc.. People getting desparate will play differently. I'd stick with ring games where the blinds never increase, you can get a feel for the game, then adjust LATER to the way a tourny morphs from level 1 to heads up with 500/1000 or higher blinds...

k000k
05-19-2004, 09:59 AM
Oh ya, AND start at some REALLY low blinds.. You're gonna have to gain experience and pay your 'tuition', so do it at the lowest levels. Establish yourself as a winning player then move up ONE limit at a time. Each limit plays much differently, .1/.2 vs .25/.5 vs 1/2 are VERY different from each other.

sfer
05-19-2004, 10:48 AM
If you're afraid to aggressively play AK, take a break. Seriously. You'll lose money by not pushing your edges although it won't be as obvious as when you lose money by being outdrawn.

TheRake
05-19-2004, 11:43 AM
[ QUOTE ]
And remember, quoting (actually paraphrasing) the ever quotable bisonbison "Variance is the creamy center the poker twinkie." Or some cool saying like that.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's actually more like the preservatives that give it a long shelf life. Pocket Aces are the creamy center /images/graemlins/grin.gif

TheRake