PDA

View Full Version : Limping at all in these crazy games?

FletchJr.
05-19-2004, 05:26 AM
Hi, im a regular 3/6 player trying to move up.
I'm playing the 5/10 short handed games right now. and these babies are aggressive wow. judgement is key i guess.
Another thing, suited connectors and small pairs go way down in value I think. Waht do you all think are some Preflop differences? I called a raise today with JKs and didn't really know if that is regular in these games or not. Anyways it sure felt fishy to me. I think i should of mucked. If a guy opens on the button and you got KTs what would you do? 3 bet or fold? or just call~?!
I'm a little lost in these games preflop too /images/graemlins/frown.gif. I usually 3 bet with strong hands and auto bet. but these guys raise me off my hand postflop when i miss.
Do you guys open on the button with Arags? what about Axs? What about A6-A9?
I like the change of speed but these games are a little tricky. any advice?

FletchJr.
05-20-2004, 04:25 AM
Bump. sorry guys, I understand poker is completely a situational game, I just need some general differences in preflop play in shorthanded games.

Peter_rus
05-20-2004, 05:21 AM
[ QUOTE ]

Another thing, suited connectors and small pairs go way down in value I think.

[/ QUOTE ]

If agression is very high and many (4-6) people see flop - then it offers very good implied odds to your connectors and low pairs. If agression is normal and many people fold on flop - just throw your connectors and little pairs away.

[ QUOTE ]

I called a raise today with JKs and didn't really know if that is regular in these games or not.

[/ QUOTE ]

depending of raiser and his position and possible limpers i can re-raise (if 1 or more limper exists or on BB or SB when there is a steal attempt), call (if there are can be more limpers after me) or fold (if the game is tight and the raiser is tight)

[ QUOTE ]
If a guy opens on the button and you got KTs what would you do? 3 bet or fold? or just call~?!

[/ QUOTE ]

If SB - i prefer call, if BB - depending on how often he raises the button. If always or nearly - sure reraise and then lead regardless of flop, if not so often - call, waiting for heads up or trashy flop to consider check-raising on flop.

[ QUOTE ]

I'm a little lost in these games preflop too /images/graemlins/frown.gif. I usually 3 bet with strong hands and auto bet. but these guys raise me off my hand postflop when i miss.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's normal practice because of you missing about 30% of time. It there is more than 2 limpers and you - you must HIT the flop or fold on flop. If there are 2 limpers - raise/fold your high cards if missed depending of players image but do this mixed - sometimes check/fold sometimes check/raise, sometimes raise/reraise and raise/call - so the other players cannot learn your betting patterns.

[ QUOTE ]
Do you guys open on the button with Arags? what about Axs? What about A6-A9?

[/ QUOTE ]

I raise first in button with A8+ and call A3-A7. And raise with A3s+ and higher and call A2s.

[ QUOTE ]
I like the change of speed but these games are a little tricky. any advice?

[/ QUOTE ]

Be tricky yourself. Change betting patterns often. And do not play many preflop hands (i think 32-37% is ok). Many agressive players seen many flops and as the others begin to be agressive too on marginal hands negating advantages of capturing many pots with bad cards - preflop almost killing them in a distance.

stripsqueez
05-20-2004, 05:25 AM
there hasnt been a specific pre-flop thread in this forum for a while - there have been heaps of very specific posts in the past that will address all the questions - do a search

drawing hands such as suited connectors go down in value and the power hands go up - rule of thumb in the SB is complete sometimes but either fold or 3 bet/cap if there is a raise before you - not everyone will agree with that but i think most would say thats a good quick and dirty plan

before the blinds i bin KJs for a raise nearly all the time - i dont play A2o-A8o before the blinds unless i have a very rare and specific plan or its folded to me on the button - if its folded to me on the button i raise A2o everytime

limpimg is a crime in these games but others will tell you its ok (they talk crap - dont believe them)

i reckon the 5/10 6 max game at party is the most passive short handed game i've played for a decent period of time

stripsqueez - chickenhawk

Schneids
05-20-2004, 05:41 AM
[ QUOTE ]
limpimg is a crime in these games but others will tell you its ok (they talk crap - dont believe them)

[/ QUOTE ]

Har har.

You are on the button. The game has been playing EXTREMELY aggressive post flop, and usually is PF. The two most passive players PF are in the SB and BB. Everyone limps. You have 33.

I think we have a winning limping situation.

rtrombone
05-20-2004, 05:52 AM
Lakers suck.

Peter_rus
05-20-2004, 06:39 AM
[ QUOTE ]

It's normal practice because of you missing about 30% of time.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry mistaken - you miss the flop about 65% of time.