PDA

View Full Version : How many bets do you go?

Barry
05-19-2004, 05:21 AM
Mirage 20/40

I had just sat down in the game (1st or 2nd orbit) Tommy and Clarkmeister are also in the game but not involved in the hand.

I'm MP with QQ

Fellow to my right open raises, (he seems a little on the aggressive side, but I hadn't been at the table long enough)and I 3-bet with QQ, folded back to the original raiser who calls. It's heads up, no betting cap.

Flop is KQx, he checks, I bet, he checkraises, I call.

Turn is another small card.

He bets, I raise, he 3-bets, I 4-bet (4 betting is even more fun than 3-betting), he 5-bets (oops), I...

Ulysses
05-19-2004, 05:28 AM
OK. I'm going to give it a shot without reading the post. Nine.

Ulysses
05-19-2004, 05:53 AM
OK. Now I read the post. I've been at both extremes w/ this situation. I've gone like 20 bets v. players here and I've stopped at 3. But that's against familiar opposition.

You say your initial read is on the aggro side. OK, then...

He bets (lot of stuff)
he 3-bets (AK)
he 5-bets (AA)
he 7-bets (KQ)
he 9-bets (xx or KK)

OK. Nine bets it is. Maybe that's a little excessive, but you're in Vegas, live it up. Against an aggressive guy who checkraised me on the flop, I'm definitely 6-betting, though.

Joe Tall
05-19-2004, 07:36 AM
I surely break the pre-heads-up-cap. Many aggressive players will raise up to the 'cap' w/top pair. I make it 6 and call a 7th.

Peace,
Joe Tall

Luke
05-19-2004, 10:53 AM
Would this guy smooth call your 3-bet preflop (headusup for deception) and then checkraise the flop with top set? I don't know, but it seems to me that at that point on the flop, he would wait until the turn to drop the KK bomb.

I'd go one more bet and only call an 8th bet. Without a better knowledge of the player I'd prefer to not go any further.

Luke

Barry
05-20-2004, 01:01 AM
OK, now that I'm back home, I 6 bet the turn, and it was really fun. He finally just called and called my river bet. He held up his KQ /images/graemlins/diamond.gif as he was calling and seemed very surprised to see my set of Q's

andyfox
05-20-2004, 01:53 AM
I'd only stop because I'd be afraid he'd fold. I once had a guy 8-bet me and fold for the 9-bet. It was in draw, in the early 1890s (not a typo for 1980s), but it happened. The check-raise on the flop sure seems to say he doesn't have a set of kings.

Chris Daddy Cool
05-20-2004, 01:57 AM
[ QUOTE ]
The check-raise on the flop sure seems to say he doesn't have a set of kings.

[/ QUOTE ]

His failure to 4bet preflop seems to say he doesn't have a set of kings, especially since the post said this guy was on the aggressive side.

Ulysses
05-20-2004, 03:07 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
The check-raise on the flop sure seems to say he doesn't have a set of kings.

[/ QUOTE ]

His failure to 4bet preflop seems to say he doesn't have a set of kings, especially since the post said this guy was on the aggressive side.

[/ QUOTE ]

The heads-up pre-flop raise/call by an aggressive player makes a monster hand like KK/AA a real possibility. The flop checkraise makes top set seem unlikely.

Chris Daddy Cool
05-20-2004, 03:41 AM
I agree the flop/checkraise didn't make a set seem likely, I just thought so did the non-4bet preflop.

Barry
05-20-2004, 08:59 AM
That's exactly what I thought. I put him on exactly KQ. Of course I wouldn't been happy if a K slid off on the river. Would anyone consider just calling the 5-bet and raising the river (assuming no K)?

Ulysses
05-20-2004, 01:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Would anyone consider just calling the 5-bet and raising the river (assuming no K)?

[/ QUOTE ]

No. You put him on KQ just as I did, and an aggressive player will often go off for a couple of more bets on the turn w/ KQ whereas he's much more likely to shut down immediately to a river raise. Especially if an Ace drops - hell, he may even check-call there.

Anyway, I'm mainly impressed w/ my great answer before even reading the post. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Inthacup
05-20-2004, 02:00 PM
I'm mainly impressed w/ my great answer before even reading the post.

I'm mainly impressed that I knew your post would be great before even reading your answer.

Cup

andyfox
05-20-2004, 02:03 PM
Head-up, I'd only call pre-flop with pocket kings. A perfect time for deception.

elysium
05-20-2004, 02:11 PM
hi barry
you can 6 bet it, however, at the point of the 5 bet, you should call. a 6 bet will get you a check-call on the river. if you call the 5 bet, he will then bet out on the river again, at which point you can raise. if he reraises, i'd get in a 4 bet and call the 5 bet, but really it's a matter of playing style and bank-roll.

there is something going on at the 5 bet also that makes calling correct. if he 7 bets you, you will only call on the river. here, you actually do not want to know whether or not he can 7 bet. a seven bet requires that you dispose of your read, and that only hurts you, so don't let this opponent take control with his action, instead use your read as profittably as you can.