PDA

View Full Version : "To Keep Freedom of Religon Alive..."

Dynasty
05-19-2004, 04:38 AM
I was watching an old (1960's) black & white episoded of Password hosted by Allen Ludden tonight. I got the impression this was a primetime version of the show. Ludden ended the show by giving the day's "password". I think I've got the quote accurate.

"The password tonight is 'freedom of religion'. Keep freedom of religon alive by worshiping with your family every week."

When I heard this, I thoght that any TV host who ended his show saying something like this today would probably be embroiled in a controversey when the following morning's newspapers hit the stands.

bernie
05-19-2004, 10:58 AM
[ QUOTE ]
"The password tonight is 'freedom of religion'. Keep freedom of religon alive by worshiping with your family every week."

[/ QUOTE ]

Interesting way of putting it. Not really inclusive of athiests or agnostics when he puts the 'worship' word in there.

Not sure how it would go over today. It's bound to happen again.

b

TimM
05-19-2004, 11:20 AM
Things were different then. I remember watching tapes of the first moon landings, and one of the astronauts recited some long prayer or biblical passage, and that struck me in a similar way.

Kurn, son of Mogh
05-19-2004, 11:24 AM
I believe that was Apollo 8, the first to orbit the moon (but not land). It was Christmas Eve and Frank Borman read from Genesis.

Kurn, son of Mogh
05-19-2004, 11:26 AM
Well, back in the late 60's the network censors wouldn't allow the President to be joked about by name. I recall The Smothers Brothers had to add a "t" to LBJ's name and call him President Johnston in jokes.

elwoodblues
05-19-2004, 11:40 AM
Kind of funny that he'd read from Genesis on Christmas. I also turn to Genesis during Easter.

Kurn, son of Mogh
05-19-2004, 12:15 PM
In fact, I recall a commemrative postage stamp that has a photo of the moon with the words "In the beginning, God...." Apollo 8