PDA

View Full Version : Check raise trips and fold to a 3 bet?

bicyclekick
05-19-2004, 03:30 AM
UTG is a pretty normal 6/12 canterbury player. Nothing special worth nothing. Just plays pretty straight forward.

UTG raises, gets cold called in 4 spots so I come along with my T5s in the bb.

Flop comes QJ5 rainbow. I check, utg (raiser) bets gets called by one person and I call too.

Turn is the beautiful 5. I check, UTG bets, same caller again and I raise. He 3 bets, other guy folds. I call time.

I'm looking at the board thinking what hands would he 3 bet me with here. I think it's pretty obvious to any decent player I have a 5 or J's or something. Or I could be bluffing I suppose. But I haven't been putting moves on people or anything, and this has to look pretty legitimate.

I figure AQ he's not going to 3 bet. A's I know he doesn't have AA cause it's Aces always win tuesday and we'd been talking about it and the last time he had em he just called along the whole way.

I was really convinced he had J's or Q's so I mucked. Could had kings I guess, but EH. Not usually.

What do you guys think? Was it a decent mistake not to call this guy down?

asdf1234
05-19-2004, 04:18 AM
Strictly speaking mathematically, he's as likely to have the kings as he is jacks or queens, plus there's the possibility of aces (and if he was cold called in 4 spots, it seems like he should be raising them utg, regardless of aces always win, in a 6/12 anyway). I don't think I lay this down (of course this assumes that he would be willing to 3-bet AA and KK, which definitely isn't always the case).

Sorry I didn't see you out there today, I didn't even make it out there.

bicyclekick
05-19-2004, 05:02 AM
Oman did you miss an 8/16 game. One of the wildest games I've ever been involved in. One guy played any two cards for any amount of bets. You should have seen the pots he took down with 92o, 62s, k2o, k5o it was unreal. I loved it.

This other woman would play any two suited for 2 bets and see any flop with any ace any king and most q's. She's play anything remotely connected offsuit.

One kid would strattle every time and was a LAG.

Another kid would 3 bet his straddle nearly every time. With stuff like j8s too. hehe.

Another kid would play any two suited.

And nobody would fold for 2 or 3 bets on the flop so it was really tough.

The bad part is the deck was hitting me in the face but I always got sucked out on with so many people in chasing and having the proper price after the flop to do so really.

Most were 6-7 to the flop for a bet or 3 and there was a 9 way pot. Which meant a rack or so in the pot on average pf.

Just frickin insane. Felt like a 10cent-20cent game.

Too bad I dropped 750 in it. Them be the swings. As Is aid I just got hit with the deck so i had to play my hands and it just didn't happen.

Fun game though. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

About the hand there is about a 1% chance he could have aces. we had talked about it pretty extensively and he wasn't bs'ing.

bicyclekick
05-19-2004, 04:28 PM
anyone else have any thoughts on the hand? I don't think I've ever mucked in this situation cause I'm the total opposite of weak tight, but I'm actually working on folding more and saving those 2 big bets.

Brian
05-19-2004, 05:01 PM
Hi bicycle,

I don't think I'd check-raise in this spot unless I had a plan for if he 3-bets. Personally, I am not comfortable folding a good hand in a pot so large, so I'd probably just bet out on the Turn. But in answer to your question of what to do when he re-raises, it seems pretty tough but I'd probably call him down. I mean, if your read is that he had QQ or JJ, you were there and would know better than I would, so fold. But if it were me, I'm never that confident in my reads, so I'd call down. Just don't put yourself in this situation next time. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

-Brian

chesspain
05-19-2004, 05:17 PM
By my count, there are approx. 10BB in the pot when the action returns to you. Assuming you have to call one more bet on the river, you'll be getting 11:2 on your turn-call, river-call. Do you really believe that your trips will be good less than twenty percent of the time?

MaxPower
05-19-2004, 05:23 PM
I think you need to call him down. First of all, you have 14BB in the pot. So effective odds of 15:2 to call down. You don't need to win this pot very often. You need to be very very confident of your read to fold here.

He probably thinks you are a tight player and therefore assumes that the 5 could not help you.

Joe Tall
05-19-2004, 06:44 PM
I don't like the fold.

If it's Aces always win and he puts you on QJ, why wouldn't he re-raise the turn if he thinks his 2-pair is better?

Folding for one more in this pot is a mistake.

Peace,
Joe Tall

bicyclekick
05-20-2004, 12:35 AM
Yep. I agree looking back that I shouldn't be making folds like this. I'll get this folding thing down one of these days I swear.

Thanks for pounding it guys,
bk