PDA

View Full Version : Fold bottom two pair?

kingstalker
05-19-2004, 03:12 AM
Pokerstars 11+0 rebuy
I have 12600 in chips
blinds 100/200 with 25 ante
MP(5843)calls
SB(12,000) calls
I check with /images/graemlins/club.gif5 /images/graemlins/spade.gif2 in the BB
Flop comes down
/images/graemlins/spade.gif6 /images/graemlins/spade.gif5 /images/graemlins/heart.gif2
SB bets 200, I raise to 800,MP calls, and now SB does a massive raise to 8000.SB had been playing unimaginative poker, playing like a super rock the whole tournament, always raising with premium hands and never attempting to steal, so I was a bit worried when I got re raised(and such a huge amount from the earlier bet), I figured SB had a set or top two so I folded,SB didnt show,was this a good fold based on the information I had available?

steeser
05-19-2004, 10:41 AM
Some of my worst hands in a tourney have been when I was in the BB and flopped 2 pair. Very easy to get counterfeited.

Normally I would play this hand hard, but that was a huge re-raise. Looks like pocket 77's or something. Being the SB means there is a chance he has 65, or 43, or even an OESD. Probably a good fold.

gcDanno
05-19-2004, 11:27 AM
Ask yourself, what is he afraid of? My answer would be a flush or straight draw. This tells me he's either got the straight or trips, more likely the straight.

Definitely a good fold.

patrick dicaprio
05-19-2004, 11:42 AM
would the SB risk 2/3 of his chips if he couldnt beat bottom two pair? probably not. The best you could hope for is an Open ended draw but do you want to pay a lot of chips to find out if he has this hand?

Pat

legend42
05-19-2004, 11:57 AM
That doesn't look like a semi-bluff, even if he was a tricky player. You may have been ahead of a few hands he'd do that with, but you don't want to call off your stack with bottom 2 on that board in an unraised pot. At least not at that stage in the tourney.

Definitely a good fold, based on the info you had.