PDA

View Full Version : AJs, failed to raise?

arkady
05-18-2004, 09:54 PM
Not familiar with this opponent, but here is what I was thinking on the turn - correct me if I am wrong. I am thinking, if I just call and make my handthere is a good chance I can raise after he bets out (+1 extra bb). If however I miss my hand, I lose that turn bet and muck on river - costing myself minimal. If I raise, the river MIGHT be checked through or I might get reraised if I dont make my hand and could lose 2 or 3 BBs. If I raise he also just might fold, gaining little. If I raise, he calls, he checks, I make my hand - I bet, he *might* call and I get the same +1 extra. So basically I stand to lose more? If this is all confusing, just look at the hand and let me know hehe.

Party Poker 3/6 Hold'em (10 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is MP1 with A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, J/images/graemlins/diamond.gif. CO posts a blind of $3.
UTG calls, UTG+1 folds, UTG+2 folds, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, MP2 folds, MP3 folds, CO (poster) folds, Button folds, SB folds, BB folds, UTG calls.

Flop: (6.33 SB) 7/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 4/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, T/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(2 players) </font>
UTG checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG calls.

Turn: (4.16 BB) Q/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(2 players) </font>
<font color="CC3333">UTG bets</font>, Hero calls.

River: (6.16 BB) 8/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(2 players) </font>
<font color="CC3333">UTG bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, UTG folds.

Final Pot: 9.16 BB
<font color="#990066">Main Pot: 8.16 BB, won by Hero.</font>
<font color="#990066">Pot 2: 1 BB, overbet by Hero.</font>

Results in white below: <font color="white">
Hero shows Ad Jd (flush, ace high).
Outcome: Hero wins 9.16 BB. </font>

zuluking
05-18-2004, 10:07 PM
Seem fine. I would have played it the same way.

PraetorianAZ
05-18-2004, 10:10 PM
A turn raise is getting 1:1 on a 4:1 shot. Semi-bluff doesn't apply.

So I agree, you played it fine.

Chris Daddy Cool
05-18-2004, 10:27 PM
If you think a turn semibluff raise will knock him out, its okay, though I don't think it's the proper play in this hand.

If you call the turn the way you did and hit the river like you did, you get the chance to raise him on the river and he just might call and you get to collect an extra bet, as opposed to you raising the turn, him calling your failed semibluff, but check/folding the river, where you stand to lose one extra bet. But as it turns out he folded to the river raise anyways, but more often than not, they're usually calling.

arkady
05-18-2004, 10:59 PM
Yeah, him not calling the river definitely suprised me - but from your post and other it seems like calling the turn was the smarter move.

I would not have raised on turn to move him off the hand as I strongly doubt he would have gone anywhere.