PDA

View Full Version : Question about calling raises from the BB

blackaces13
05-18-2004, 09:15 PM
Being that it is usually correct to complete in the SB with any 2 suited because with a few limpers you are usually getting 9:1 or better, does the same logc hold when there is a raise and a few cold-callers or an LP raise after limpers and you are in the BB?

Case in point I got dealt T2s today in the BB. UTG raise and 4 coldcallers including the SB. I was getting 11:1 to throw in another SB. I folded it because I was unsure of myself but I wonder if it was correct to fold.

tech
05-18-2004, 09:34 PM
I was typing my response to your post, and this hand came up at on my Party table. Pretty much sums up my thoughts. /images/graemlins/cool.gif If there had been one less caller, I probably would not have done it though.

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (9 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is BB with 6/images/graemlins/heart.gif, Q/images/graemlins/heart.gif.
UTG folds, UTG+1 folds, MP1 calls, <font color="CC3333">MP2 raises</font>, MP3 folds, CO folds, Button calls, SB calls, Hero calls, MP1 calls.

Flop: (10 SB) T/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 2/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 7/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(5 players) </font>
SB checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP1 calls, MP2 calls, Button folds, SB calls.

Turn: (7 BB) 8/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(4 players) </font>
SB checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP1 calls, MP2 folds, SB folds.

River: (9 BB) Q/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(2 players) </font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP1 calls.

Final Pot: 11 BB

Results in white below: <font color="white">
Hero shows 6h Qh (flush, queen high).
MP1 shows 5d Ah (high card, ace).
Outcome: Hero wins 11 BB. </font>

Chris Daddy Cool
05-18-2004, 09:49 PM
Yes, I'd call from the BB.

1) You're getting proper odds to flop your draw, not to mention the other bizarre ways your hand can win.

2) You're closing the action in that round.
But because of this reason, I would probably NOT call from the SB or late position even if apparentely have odds, because it would be terrible if the BB were to 3bet and UTG capped.

Also, your position is rather nice if you flop a draw because UTG is likely to bet the flop, setting you up for a nice value checkraise.

SofaCoach
05-18-2004, 09:50 PM
Excellent question....I have struggled with the same thing so I am looking forward to responses from the "Guru's".

My general rule of thumb is I need at least one of the suited cards to be Q or higher or be connected or 1-gap. So I'd have folded the 10,2s but called with the Q,6s of the last poster.

I use similar, but just slightly looser standards to complete the SB in unraised pot.

Of course this all can changed based on player or table reads.

Leo Bello
05-18-2004, 11:04 PM
By the way MP1 was playing in the wrong table?

High card in a flush board? with no other options?

Nice hand, but u know it is tough to know. I have folded many times suited hands when there were raises. Even with Q. I would normally only answer AXs or Kxs. And depending on the read of the table.

tech
05-18-2004, 11:35 PM
Marvel at the table selection skills!!! /images/graemlins/wink.gif

Yeah, I know it is tough to judge. I probably make a lot of loose calls in that situation. But, you are closing the action, getting good odds, and it is very easy to play postflop.