PDA

View Full Version : why did I fold this?

elitegimp
05-18-2004, 08:51 PM
I know everyone's mantra should be "don't fold the river for one bet w/ a decent hand", but this was the 3rd different person to lead the betting... what would you have done?

Party Poker 0.50/1 Hold'em (10 handed)

Preflop: Hero is CO with A/images/graemlins/spade.gif, J/images/graemlins/club.gif.
UTG folds, UTG+1 folds, UTG+2 folds, MP1 calls, MP2 calls, MP3 calls, Hero calls, Button calls, SB folds, BB checks.

Flop: (6.50 SB) 7/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 2/images/graemlins/spade.gif, T/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(6 players) </font>
BB checks, MP1 bets, MP2 calls, MP3 calls, Hero calls, Button raises, BB folds, MP1 calls, MP2 calls, MP3 calls, Hero calls.

Turn: (8.25 BB) A/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(5 players) </font>
MP1 checks, MP2 checks, MP3 checks, Hero checks, Button checks.

River: (8.25 BB) T/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(5 players) </font>
MP1 checks, MP2 bets, MP3 folds, Hero folds, Button folds, MP1 folds.

Final Pot: 9.25 BB

My thoughts:

Pre-flop) Raising pre-flop I guess was an option with that many limpers, but I'm not too big of a fan of that play w/ AJo. No way I'm folding though

Post-flop) I called figuring I had odds w/ my two overcards plus 3-straight / 3-flush... was not expecting the raise but then I had odds again /images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Turn) hurray, an Ace! I should have bet, but I was afraid of a re-raise by the button (would it be an isolation raise? a set? flopped two pair?)

River) I was set to call 1 bet, but MP2 comes out betting. I had no read on him, no idea why he'd come to life now... plus I was first to call, and was still leery about a button check-raise or MP1 raise (he bet into a huge field on the flop, surely he had top pair?)

So please, critique my play, my thinking, my style of dress, or whatever. If you actually like how I played, tell me why... I'm an open kind of guy /images/graemlins/smile.gif

blackaces13
05-18-2004, 09:08 PM
I think its a very bad fold.

Why'd you check the turn through?

The button was clearly on a flush draw after the turn and you have TPGK. Gotta call that one down, I'd expect to win that hand more often than not and you were getting over 9 to 1.

tech
05-18-2004, 09:12 PM
Well, the bigger mistake was not betting the turn. If you were that afraid of button, you should not have called on the flop.

I would have probably called on the river, but it sure looks like MP2 has a T.

Jaran
05-18-2004, 10:24 PM
Hey elitegimp,
I haven't read the other responses yet, so forgive me if I repeat anything (of course, I prolly am so far off that no one would agree with me. /images/graemlins/grin.gif ). I would raise pf here pretty much every time. The hand plays much easier from there. The flop call is all right IMHO. You are getting 9:1 from the pot for your 6-8 outs (if you include the backdoo str8 and flush possiblities). Since you did limp, you have got to bet the turn. It's hard to say what to do on the river, because I would have played the hand much differently, but given your play, I think the river fold is fine.

-Jaran

blackaces13
05-18-2004, 10:29 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I think the river fold is fine.

[/ QUOTE ]

You better run home quick before Ed Miller gets here.

B Dids
05-18-2004, 10:30 PM
Ugh.

1- The preflop raise is good. If you're going to play this hand, raise with it.

2- why in the name of Jeff are you not betting the turn. Why are you calling if you won't do something when one of the cards you were drawing to hits? An Ace is better here than a spade.

3- given 2, I can't even comment on the river.

B Dids
05-18-2004, 10:31 PM
Er hem... don't you mean "Noted Poker Authority Ed Miller". You'd better recognize the skills and kiss the ring man...

elitegimp
05-18-2004, 10:40 PM
thanks guys, exactly what I wanted to hear!

I can't for the life of me figure out why I checked the turn... worst play ever /images/graemlins/smile.gif It won't happen again.

Jaran
05-18-2004, 11:00 PM
OMG! Did I really write this?

I think he lost this hand much earlier than the river, so the fold IMHO is fine /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

-Jaran

blackaces13
05-18-2004, 11:02 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I think he lost this hand much earlier than the river

[/ QUOTE ]

And what praytell leads you to this conclusion?

Jaran
05-18-2004, 11:18 PM
Forsooth, Sir Blackaces, mayhap thou would be so kind as to correct mine errors.

Since we don't know what the villian is holding, I may be way off base, but with a pf raise and a bet on the turn, maybe at some point he folds holding some 10x crap, but maybe not. I just think that because hero played the way he did, he let the villian stay in for too little. Prolly I lose more here than the Hero.

-Jaran

blackaces13
05-18-2004, 11:28 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I just think that because hero played the way he did, he let the villian stay in for too little. Prolly I lose more here than the Hero.

[/ QUOTE ]

I must have misunderstood you then. I thought you saying that he lost the hand way before the river meant that you thought Hero was behind the entire hand and could have safely folded much earlier.

Now I see that you were refering to the Hero's general passivity costing him the pot. I get confused easily. /images/graemlins/crazy.gif

elitegimp
05-18-2004, 11:36 PM
well, I may have let a 10BB pot get away, but at least you guys are making me laugh /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Jaran
05-18-2004, 11:45 PM
That's what I'm here for, comic relief. I certainly can't make intelligent comments on poker.

-Jaran

BTW- Where in Boulder are you?

sfer
05-18-2004, 11:51 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Pre-flop) Raising pre-flop I guess was an option with that many limpers, but I'm not too big of a fan of that play w/ AJo. No way I'm folding though

[/ QUOTE ]

Raise.

[ QUOTE ]
Post-flop) I called figuring I had odds w/ my two overcards plus 3-straight / 3-flush... was not expecting the raise but then I had odds again

[/ QUOTE ]

Raising preflop makes this much easier when it's checked to you.

[ QUOTE ]
Turn) hurray, an Ace! I should have bet, but I was afraid of a re-raise by the button (would it be an isolation raise? a set? flopped two pair?)

[/ QUOTE ]

Bet the turn. Why don't you want the button to raise behind you?