PDA

View Full Version : ML Table Selection and the dreaded TAG multitabler (You Guys/Gals)

Kilroy
05-18-2004, 07:37 PM
I have read several posts that say players should look for a game generating 8BB pots. When I go to those games, I find the table often has several multitablers that play tight aggressive. I suspect many of them are players that post on this forum. Since my skills are just developing, I moved to tables that generate 5BB pots. These tables are usually Loose/Passive with many seeing the flop but not much raising and no TAG Multitablers. What I've noticed is that once somebody starts raising, hopefully it's me with good cards in the right position, the whole table loosens up and the pots begin to increase. As soon as the pots increase, the multitablers start showing up and clean house. Last night this happened twice each time I started with zero multitablers and ended up with 6 at each table. I'm trying to decide if I should stay or just leave and find a new table.

If I stay and play against better opponents I threaten my bankroll but if I tighten up (way up...I'm listing to everybody) and stay, I might learn something. (After a session I often go through the good players hands to see how they played them)

If I leave the table, I feel like a big freakin coward. But I leave with my bankroll intact. I'm sure there has to be a formula out there that says BE + PP = BL (Big Ego + Party Poker = Big Losses)

When you were me (minimal experience but working on your game) and not the TAG Multitabler you are today did you avoid the expert player or just learn to play with them? Can two, three or four fish support 6 TAG players at the same table? (Unfortantly, I think one night I supported 9 TAG Players at the same table....they were very pleased) /images/graemlins/grin.gif Just how important is table selection in ML games?

I realize that not all multitablers are TAG or extremely talented but many on this forum are TAG and extremely talented and end up in the same game I am. Since I've already donatated to many of your college funds I would prefer to donate money to my own kids fund. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

As always your thought and comments are appreciated.

tech
05-18-2004, 08:48 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Can two, three or four fish support 6 TAG players at the same table?

[/ QUOTE ]

Absolutely. Because usually every hand ends up being one TAG and 3-4 fish.

Sitting down at a table full of TAGs is poker suicide, even for a good player -- you will never make a lot of money from them (ask people how much they make at the 2+2 table). I still avoid good players as much as I can. Building my bankroll matters much more to me than protecting my ego.

Unfortunately, almost every table at which I play has at least one if not two other TAGs there. Most of them are pretty easy to read though. I respect their raises more than I do other players.

I really have almost stopped looking at pot size. I haven't noticed any significant correlation between average pot size and the fishiness of the table.

Good luck!

sfer
05-18-2004, 11:58 PM
Don't be overly concerned with another TAG if the table is fishy enough. You're probably seeing ~20% of the flops, as is the other TAG, so you're not tangling with them often.

Leo Bello
05-19-2004, 12:17 AM
I agree completely.

Against TAG, it is very difficult to make money, principally because the pots that grow, will probably be won by those players. And the lack of experience makes them read u faster and learn you are tightening as well.