PDA

View Full Version : Sun Tzu - The Art of Strategy

08-29-2002, 11:14 PM
SunTzu was a general in the Chinese army in the third century BC and wrote a book called ‘The Art of Strategy’. In some translations it is also known as ‘The Art of War’. His lessons have been well applied in the military, business, and personal relationships of competition. His lessons recommend sizing up your opponent, gathering information, and broadcasting misinformation. His most important lesson is to force your opponent to enter into a confrontation only when the terms and conditions are favorable to you. I think he would have made a good poker player. Masson, you might consider adding this one to your book list.

Has anyone specifically tried to apply Sun Tzu’s ‘Art of Strategy’ to poker?

08-30-2002, 12:09 AM
I have a pal in Philadelphia who lived his life by this book. He was Don King's travel agent. God knows, you need strategy to deal with someone like King! Interesting, Wayne. I might also add Machiavelli's "The Prince" to this list. Some interesting quotes: "The first impression that one gets of a ruler is by seeing the men about him" - (WOW this is scary considering some of the mugs I play with!) Also, re: fortune, he says " it's better to be impetuous than cautious, for fortune is a woman, and it is necessary to conquer her by force!" (uh....guess he was a loose player?). Babe

08-30-2002, 02:54 AM
I coulda sworn I read a Sun Tsu article on CardPlayer awhile back. I had to search for it in their archives and finally found it. Follow link below.

08-30-2002, 02:49 PM
The Art of War, being very psychological in nature applies more to pot-limit, no-limit, and heads-up/shorthanded limit. It's emphasis on deception is great but if taken too far in limit ring games, it can cause you to play too loose. Not only that, it could cause you to develop what Caro calls FPS (or Fancy Play Syndrome). Other than these warnings, I think very highly of Sun Tsu and The Art of War. I highly recommend it.

08-31-2002, 03:34 PM
"Without emotional intelligence (discipline, emotional resilience, and toughness), intellectual intelligence (knowledge, skill, talent, experience, and so on) is wasted."

This is a quote from the Card Player article that Guns n' Roses' posted the link to.

To help get the proper emotional intelligence (among many other things) another chinese classic can be read: The Analects of

Confucius.

Jedi knights warning is appropriate, and the Analects may be good as a tempering agent to Sun Tzu. An alloy is often stronger and more durable than the a pure material.

Zeno

Bob T.
09-02-2002, 11:18 PM
Another book that I keep at the top of my bookshelf is the Book of Five Rings, or 'Go Rin no Sho' which is supposed to have been written by Miyamoto Musashi. Musashi's life is dramatized by Kurasawa in the film series 'Samurai Trilogy'.

Good luck,
Play well,

Bob T.