PDA

View Full Version : Dealing with the new fad

rigoletto
05-18-2004, 06:32 PM
Party Poker 15/30 Hold'em (10 handed) The opponent in this hand is unknown. I'm getting really unsure of these limp reraises nowadays and would like some comments on this hand

Preflop: Hero is CO with A/images/graemlins/heart.gif, K/images/graemlins/heart.gif. MP3 posts a blind of $15.
UTG folds, UTG+1 calls, UTG+2 folds, MP1 folds, MP2 folds, MP3 (poster) checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, Button folds, SB folds, BB folds, <font color="CC3333">UTG+1 3-bets</font>, MP3 folds, Hero calls.

Flop: (8.66 SB) Q/images/graemlins/spade.gif, T/images/graemlins/club.gif, K/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(2 players) </font>
UTG+1 checks, Hero checks.

Turn: (4.33 BB) 3/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(2 players) </font>
<font color="CC3333">UTG+1 bets</font>, Hero calls.

River: (6.33 BB) K/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(2 players) </font>
<font color="CC3333">UTG+1 bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>...

I had planned to raise the river no matter what but the K obviously made it an easy decision.

Steve Giufre
05-18-2004, 06:44 PM
I like the way you played this one. His flop check is very strange, especially after the limp reraise. I would probably read that as a big hand more often than I would as weakness. Even though I wouldnt be crazy about it, I would probably bet the flop, only because the board is draw heavy, and I wouldnt want to give him a free shot a gut draw, if he had one. But, I guess it's fine, since even if all he does have is a gutshot, he is gonna call one bet anyway. I like the smooth call on the turn. Like I said, the flop check would realy bother me here, so I wouldnt want to be forced to call a 3 bet, and by just calling you encourage him to continue betting a worse hand into you on the river if you are ahead. I'm not sure I like the idea of raising any card on the river. If UTG+1 was someone who I regarded as solid, I would probably just call the river if a blank fell. If he was more aggresive and his range of hands was wider I think raising most river cards is right. Considering you got the best card in the deck on the end, it looks like an easy raise.

builtiz
05-18-2004, 06:51 PM
Personally I would cap preflop. I would then bet all the way and go into call mode if I get raised on turn,although I might raise the river with that last king if I got CR on the turn. I too have noticed a lot of people limping in, then when they notice the pot is going to be heads up they re-raise to take control of the betting. Why he checks the flop is very curious. He either has a monster or nothing. The cap pre-flop would "establishs dominance" and makes the rest of the hand pretty straightforward.

Also when you both miss or if he has a small pocket pair he will be more likely to fold since you did "cap it". When they check fold the flop you can say to yourself "that's what capski's give you". Try it out!

BTW what happened in actual hand???

George Rice
05-18-2004, 07:01 PM
Party players make moves like that with all kinds of hands, even in the 15/30. Normally I would expect any pair, suited connectors or Ax suited. His check on the flop probably means he missed his set or drawing hand, or he hit the flop really big. I think you played it well.

I'm guessing he bet a medium pair on the end, thinking it was good.

astroglide
05-18-2004, 07:52 PM
his most likely non-nothing hand would be QQ, not AA

rigoletto
05-18-2004, 07:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]
his most likely non-nothing hand would be QQ, not AA

[/ QUOTE ]

And...? What are you getting at?

George Rice
05-18-2004, 09:14 PM
He propably means that he would bet AA, AK or some similar hand on the flop, and only check a sub par hand or a set.

What did he have, assuming he called your river raise?

j.k.
05-18-2004, 11:18 PM
I had a guy limp-cap in a 15/30 game this evening with 10 10. Think I've seen more limp-raises in the last couple months than in all the other years I've played combined.

j.k.

Senor Choppy
05-19-2004, 02:26 AM
I'll limp reraise w/ 88, AJs, and a few other hands UTG if the right person raises and if I'm also doing the same w/ AA and KK.

I've seen a lot more w/ AK and QQ recently, and almost none with hands like QJs.

Dynasty
05-19-2004, 03:08 AM
I thought I'd link this thread from just a month ago.

How Much Influence Does The 2+2 Board Have? (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showflat.php?Cat=&amp;Board=mediumholdem&amp;Number=638004 &amp;Forum=f4&amp;Words=How%20much%20influence&amp;Searchpage= 0&amp;Limit=25&amp;Main=638004&amp;Search=true&amp;where=sub&amp;Name= 36&amp;daterange=1&amp;newerval=155&amp;newertype=w&amp;olderval=&amp; oldertype=&amp;bodyprev=#Post638004)

rigoletto
05-19-2004, 01:10 PM
[ QUOTE ]
He propably means that he would bet AA, AK or some similar hand on the flop, and only check a sub par hand or a set.

What did he have, assuming he called your river raise?

[/ QUOTE ]

He called my riverraise and showed 88. Thanks for the responses.

Zele
05-19-2004, 01:16 PM
If you were sure enough of your hand raise the river, why did you check through the flop? River aside, checking that flop and then calling the turn bet when the 3rd suited card comes is a classic example of implied odds working against you.

The more I think about it, the less I understand why you didn't bet the flop.

DaShark
05-19-2004, 01:28 PM
Well played.

I've just played with a guy recently who liked to limp raise just about any pair 55 and up and a lot of big suited aces.

The check on the flop got his opponent to bet the turn and river with a subpar hand. The free card cant really hurt unless UTG has AQ or JJ or Ax of clubs.

Questions:

-What if a 4th club comes on the river? Do you still call a bet?

-What if he 3-bets the river?

rigoletto
05-19-2004, 01:29 PM
[ QUOTE ]
If you were sure enough of your hand raise the river, why did you check through the flop? River aside, checking that flop and then calling the turn bet when the 3rd suited card comes is a classic example of implied odds working against you.

The more I think about it, the less I understand why you didn't bet the flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

I got a very favorable flop and with his check I thought him either very strong or very weak. I actually think that QQ would bet this flop (he's likely to get action from any brodway combination) I also believe the flush draw would bet here, so weak was more likely. I wanted to keep him in but not give him a chance to fold and on the other hand not give him upportunities to checkraise the flop or turn with a potentially strong hand that could very well be a continued bluff (typical of limp reraisers).

rigoletto
05-19-2004, 01:38 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Well played.

I've just played with a guy recently who liked to limp raise just about any pair 55 and up and a lot of big suited aces.

The check on the flop got his opponent to bet the turn and river with a subpar hand. The free card cant really hurt unless UTG has AQ or JJ or Ax of clubs.

Questions:

-What if a 4th club comes on the river? Do you still call a bet?

-What if he 3-bets the river?

[/ QUOTE ]

- yes
- without the 3rd K i fold, the flop is very scary looking on the river, so I think a 3-bet will only comme from a better hand. With trips It's closer because he could be trying to represent a boat trying to get me to fold a flush or straight.