PDA

View Full Version : Scary card checked to you: Check or Bet?

rudeybrad
05-18-2004, 03:54 PM
I'm extremely new to online poker (about 1 week on party) and quite frankly, this is more of an introductory post than a request for comments, since I think I know the answer to this question. The question is, looking at the hand history below, do I check the river and get the free showdown, or throw in a bet?

Party Poker 0.50/1 Hold'em (9 handed)

Preflop: rudey is Button with T/images/graemlins/spade.gif, T/images/graemlins/diamond.gif. CO posts a blind of $0.50.
UTG calls, UTG+1 calls, JES1159 folds, MP1 folds, MP2 folds, MP3 folds, CO (poster) checks, rudey calls, SB raises, BB folds, UTG 3-bets, UTG+1 calls, CO folds, rudey calls, SB caps, UTG calls, UTG+1 calls, rudey calls.

Flop: (18 SB) J/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 6/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 3/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(3 players) </font>
SB bets, UTG calls, UTG+1 calls, rudey calls.

Turn: (11 BB) 5/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(3 players) </font>
SB bets, UTG calls, UTG+1 calls, rudey calls.

River: (15 BB) J/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(3 players) </font>
SB checks, UTG checks, UTG+1 checks, rudey checks.

Final Pot: 15 BB
<font color="#990066">Main Pot: 15 BB, between rudey, SB and UTG.</font> &gt; <font color="white">Pot won by rudey (15 BB).</font>

Results in white below: <font color="white">
SB doesn't show.
UTG doesn't show.
rudey shows Ts Td (two pair, jacks and tens).
Outcome: rudey wins 15 BB. </font>

kem
05-18-2004, 04:03 PM
Whoops, didn't notice at first that it was capped pre-flop /images/graemlins/smile.gif

I would have raised this pre-flop though, and checked the river.

sublime
05-18-2004, 04:04 PM
hey Bro, welcome /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Raise preflop, the rest of the hand will be much easier to play.

sublime
05-18-2004, 04:06 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Flop, I would raise, folding to a re-raise, but thinking the SB probably caught a low pair and maybe you'll get checked to on the turn.

[/ QUOTE ]

He capped pre flop, I wouldnt be worried about him catching a low pair.

rudeybrad
05-18-2004, 04:16 PM
[ QUOTE ]
hey Bro, welcome /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Raise preflop, the rest of the hand will be much easier to play.

[/ QUOTE ]
Hmmmm... I usually have trouble raising pairs less than JJ preflop. Maybe it's just the yellow-bellied coward in me. Thanks for the replies.

sublime
05-18-2004, 04:23 PM
You have the button and a pretty damn good hand. Raising preflop with good hands and great position makes the rest of the hand easier to play.

kem
05-18-2004, 05:44 PM
[ QUOTE ]
He capped pre flop, I wouldnt be worried about him catching a low pair.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I missed that the first time and edited my post before I saw your response /images/graemlins/smile.gif Hard to tell how it would have played out differently, but I'd definitely raise this with pocket tens..

Jeff
05-18-2004, 07:11 PM
Hi rudey /images/graemlins/smile.gif

I'm pretty new to this too, but the second jack makes stuff a bit less scary, there are only two other jacks floating around somewhere. I'd have bet, and probably called to a raise on the river, a 10% chance of winning makes it worth the bet (10% chance the guy is bluffing?), folding on a re-raise wouldn't be a bad idea, but at that point I would personally just call it down. If the player looked to be a solid player, however, I'd definitely fold to a reraise, unless I'd seen them bluff before.