PDA

View Full Version : small blind play

dfscott
05-18-2004, 03:10 PM
I've found myself more and more lost in the small blind. There are three situations that get me in trouble:

1) big card/weak kicker (A3o, K4o). I used to play these, but lately I've been folding them. I started to ask myself what kind of flop I'd like to see and it was hard to come up with anything. Other than two pair, I've either got a dominated hand or a low pair that likely won't hold up. Am I being too weak?

2) big offsuit cards (AQo, KJo). I generally always complete, although lately I've seen some advice to fold KJo when a lot of people limp in. Are these worth raising?

3) Big pairs (AA, KK, QQ). I used to raise these, but then it was always awkward post-flop since I was out of position. I've been just completing lately and raising on the flop. Thoughts?

chief444
05-18-2004, 03:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]
1) big card/weak kicker (A3o, K4o). I used to play these, but lately I've been folding them. I started to ask myself what kind of flop I'd like to see and it was hard to come up with anything. Other than two pair, I've either got a dominated hand or a low pair that likely won't hold up. Am I being too weak?

[/ QUOTE ]
In general, I will complete with any ace but will fold Kx offsuit. I'm sure others will play these somewhat differently and obviously this (and all hands) depends on the number of limpers among other aspects.

[ QUOTE ]
2) big offsuit cards (AQo, KJo). I generally always complete, although lately I've seen some advice to fold KJo when a lot of people limp in. Are these worth raising?

[/ QUOTE ]
I would always complete with these hands with a lot of limpers. I would sometimes raise but not usually with many limpers (heads-up or only 1 or 2 limpers who are weak players).

[ QUOTE ]
3) Big pairs (AA, KK, QQ). I used to raise these, but then it was always awkward post-flop since I was out of position. I've been just completing lately and raising on the flop. Thoughts?

[/ QUOTE ]
Raise. These are less akward to play post-flop if you raise pf. Not to mention you are missing out on a lot of money pf and normally at micro limits the deception value will not make up for that lost money.

ZootMurph
05-18-2004, 03:27 PM
Any cards I'd normally raise in another position, I'll raise from the blind. AA-TT, AK, AQ, AJs, KQs, ATs... possibly others depending on the game... all get raised. The reason is because you probably have the best hand going in.

As for other cards, there was another thread on SB play that you should search for (I'm too lazy to find it for you). I personally play cards from the SB for a reason. I'll play any two Broadway cards for top pair, any suited cards for a flush or two pair, any connectors for a straight or two pair, and any pairs for a set or top pair.

1) Anything else, like A3o or K4o is not worth playing, IMO, and I completely agree with your reasoning for not playing them.

2) I always play them. With a bunch of limpers, hitting a King on the flop, you have the best hand often enough that it is worth seeing the flop for half a small bet. It is worth it to play.

3) As I said in the start... you need to bet when you have the likely best hand. JJ is probably the best hand with a bunch of limpers. Make them pay you for limping with bad hands.

dfscott
05-18-2004, 03:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]
3) As I said in the start... you need to bet when you have the likely best hand. JJ is probably the best hand with a bunch of limpers. Make them pay you for limping with bad hands.

[/ QUOTE ]

You'd raise with JJ? I always held off raising in the SB with more than 4 callers for fear of getting S&M's dreaded 3-4 callers.

And if you do flop overcards, what then? HEFAP talks about dumping them with many players, but I realize that is advice for higher limits, so what do most people here do with them?