PDA

View Full Version : Bet the river?

Guido
05-18-2004, 01:40 PM
Party Poker 5/10 Hold'em (9 handed)

Preflop: Guido is UTG with T/images/graemlins/spade.gif, T/images/graemlins/diamond.gif.
<font color="CC3333">Guido raises</font>, UTG+1 folds, MP1 folds, MP2 folds, MP3 calls, CO folds, Button folds, SB folds, BB folds.

Flop: (5.40 SB) 6/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, Q/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, K/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(2 players) </font>
<font color="CC3333">Guido bets</font>, MP3 calls.

Turn: (3.70 BB) 7/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(2 players) </font>
<font color="CC3333">Guido bets</font>, MP3 calls.

River: (5.70 BB) 3/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(2 players) </font>
Guido checks, MP3 checks.

Final Pot: 5.70 BB

colgin
05-18-2004, 01:49 PM
I think you played it correctly. I don't see a worse hand calling here enough of the time(even though this is Party) for this to be a good value bet and I don't see a better hand folding as your opponent seems to be in call-down mode. I assume you would have called a bet back to you after you checked the river.

Nice hand.

Colgin

BeerMoney
05-18-2004, 02:08 PM
What do you put the cold-caller on? Smaller pair or a diamond draw? If he's got a smaller pair, he's calling. If he's got a draw, he's folding. If he's got a king or a queen he's calling.

Maybe he's got QJ, AQ or smaller pair..

Guido
05-18-2004, 02:29 PM
And your answer is...??? I already know what you said...

Guido

sfer
05-18-2004, 02:39 PM
Looks fine. Just a Q on the board and I'd bet. With KQ on the flop I'd check the river.

BeerMoney
05-18-2004, 02:53 PM
He's got the queen. I think he might have played the draw more aggressively. Fire at the river and see what happens.

StellarWind
05-18-2004, 03:11 PM
The problem with checking the river is a good opponent is likely to realize that a queen is as good as a king. What I mean is if you can't beat top pair you probably can't beat middle pair either. I would expect AQ or QJs to bet behind you. The calling hand that probably will check behind you is 88 and down.

So the check leaks bets and gains nothing.

Obviously this analysis is opponent dependent. Against a weak-tight or passive player the check is good.

eh923
05-18-2004, 03:40 PM
Either the caller is on a draw (AJ, AT, JT, nut diamond draw), or they have you beat (AQ, KQ, QJ). I don't see the other player folding the best hand here after calling on the prior two street. Might as well check.

colgin
05-18-2004, 04:34 PM
[ QUOTE ]
What do you put the cold-caller on?

[/ QUOTE ]

Without having been given specific information about the cold-caller I would say quite a broad range of hands.

[ QUOTE ]
If he's got a smaller pair, he's calling.

[/ QUOTE ]

Perhaps, but perhaps not. A thinking player would realize that his small to medium pair is likely behind given that Hero raised before the flop.

[ QUOTE ]
If he's got a draw, he's folding. If he's got a king or a queen he's calling.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree and I think this goes to why I feel that checking is the better play here. You won't get a worse hand to call often enough and you won't push a better hand out of the pot.

sfer
05-18-2004, 04:51 PM
I can't see almost any pair of Queens folding the river for a single bet after making it this far.

Guido
05-19-2004, 07:32 AM
MP3 had pocket 8's and MHIG.

Guido