PDA

View Full Version : Aggressive or just dumb?

Soggy Salmon
05-18-2004, 11:59 AM
Trying to break out of playing weak-tight but I think maybe I am overdoing it.

Party Poker 3/6 Hold'em (9 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is MP3 with T/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, T/images/graemlins/club.gif.
UTG folds, UTG+1 folds, MP1 folds, MP2 calls, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, CO folds, Button folds, SB calls, BB folds, MP2 calls.

Flop: (7 SB) 7/images/graemlins/spade.gif, A/images/graemlins/spade.gif, A/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(3 players) </font>
SB checks, <font color="CC3333">MP2 bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, SB folds, MP2 calls.

Turn: (5.50 BB) 6/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(2 players) </font>
MP2 checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP2 calls.

River: (7.50 BB) 8/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(2 players) </font>
<font color="CC3333">MP2 bets</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 9.50 BB
<font color="#990066">Main Pot: 9.50 BB, between MP2 and Hero.</font> &gt; <font color="white">Pot won by MP2 (9.50 BB).</font>

eh923
05-18-2004, 12:16 PM
Looks aggressive, but I'm not sure how dumb it is. If the SB had something other than 88 or A8, then I'm thoroughly confused by his play.

I'd check the turn here and be hope to induce a bluff on the river, or lose the least if I'm behind. You effectively thinned out the field, but this type of board is a hard one with which to make a better hand fold or get a call from weaker hands. For example, a weak A would definitely call. Not only that, but they probably wouldn't lead the river, giving you more rope to hang yourself.

Just out of curiosity, what was your river play if he checked again?

StellarWind
05-18-2004, 02:45 PM
Against a normal person I would fold the flop. Let's face it, he probably has an ace. Weak-tight or not, that should give you pause. What else do you have going for you if you take this risk ?

1. Small pot - playing to a showdown means investing almost as much money as is currently in the pot.

2. Would you be shocked if SB was currently planning his checkraise with an ace? That's another way to lose even if MP2 is overplaying his hand.

3. You have tens, not kings. You are a long way from winning this hand even if no one has an ace. This is the decisive factor in this case IMO. I'd probably give this a shot if I thought I'd almost always win when no one had an ace.

4. You have 2 outs if you are behind.

When you are contemplating a big risk, make sure you are fighting for something worthwhile. Then think about how likely it is you'll be right and lose anyway.

If you play you should check the turn through and call the river. Betting has negative value, no real chance of folding a better hand, and could trigger a checkraise that costs you your two outs. You may also induce a river bluff when he does have a weaker hand.