PDA

View Full Version : How long to stay in with pocket Kings on scary board?

cjromero
05-18-2004, 08:01 AM
I know I played these poorly, but I am curious as to the strategy others would have used? Should I have raised the flop? Folded on the flop? What about the turn?

Party Poker 0.50/1 Hold'em (9 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is MP1 with K/images/graemlins/spade.gif, K/images/graemlins/heart.gif.
UTG calls, UTG+1 folds, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, MP2 calls, MP3 folds, CO calls, Button calls, SB folds, <font color="CC3333">BB 3-bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">UTG caps</font>, Hero calls, MP2 calls, CO calls, Button calls, BB calls.

Flop: (24.50 SB) A/images/graemlins/heart.gif, Q/images/graemlins/spade.gif, J/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(6 players) </font>
BB checks, <font color="CC3333">UTG bets</font>, Hero calls, MP2 calls, CO calls, <font color="CC3333">Button raises</font>, BB folds, UTG calls, Hero calls, MP2 calls, CO calls.

Turn: (17.25 BB) Q/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(5 players) </font>
UTG checks, Hero checks, MP2 checks, CO checks, <font color="CC3333">Button bets</font>, UTG calls, Hero calls, MP2 calls, CO calls.

River: (22.25 BB) Q/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(5 players) </font>
UTG checks, Hero checks, MP2 checks, CO checks, <font color="CC3333">Button bets</font>, UTG calls, Hero folds, MP2 folds, CO calls.

Final Pot: 25.25 BB
<font color="#990066">Main Pot: 25.25 BB, between UTG, CO and Button.</font> &gt; <font color="white">Split: UTG (12.62 BB), Button (12.62 BB).</font>

Results in white below: <font color="white">
UTG shows 3s As (full house, queens full of aces).
CO shows 5s 5c (full house, queens full of fives).
Button shows 6s Ac (full house, queens full of aces).
Outcome: UTG wins 12.62 BB. Button wins 12.62 BB. </font>

illunious
05-18-2004, 08:35 AM
The pot is way to big to fold on the flop or turn.

I would fold the river after missing a K or T.

Piiop
05-18-2004, 08:37 AM
This is an interesting hand. Sucky board for KK though.

Ok, so the BB 3-bets and UTG limp-caps. So its big pairs or complete junk for both.

The flop call is fine because of the ginormity of the pot.
Interesting that BB check-folds. I guess it was complete junk. UTG bets and only calls the raise. Slowplaying or scared of the board?

The turn is a little more tricky. If UTG would've bet out, I think a fold would be fine. But, it gets checked to the button and neither UTG nor MP2 check-raises. So now we can put UTG on junk too. He probably has at least an A, but I don't think you're dominated yet. And with the Q pairing, now both a K and a T will win it for you. Which gives you 5 or 6 outs depending on whether or not you think the Ts will be good. So when it gets back to you on the turn you're getting 19.25:1 on a 9:1 shot plus whatever bets you can pick up if you hit. Easy call.

It doesn't feel right to do all this calling with KK on an A-high board, but I think in this situation it's fine.

ZootMurph
05-18-2004, 11:17 AM
With a huge pot on the flop, I'm raising with KK. I have a backdoor flush draw, straight draw, and a pair of Kings.

Call down on the big pot after the capped flop and fold when a King does not hit the river.

afk
05-18-2004, 11:23 AM
I'd raise the flop here, and if things got ugly after that I'd call down. The pot is HUUUUGE on the river and to fold for one bet makes baby jesus cry!

cjromero
05-18-2004, 11:25 AM
Is the consensus that I should have raised the flop, gone into check/call on the turn, and then check/fold on the river?

kiemo
05-18-2004, 11:37 AM
I dont think you should fold a 23 BB pot to a single bet on the river.

Ralph Wiggum
05-18-2004, 11:40 AM
PF is fine. The flop is where you're probably beat, but with the huge pot, you have to chase your T for the straight. The turn pairs the board, so I'd say you're beat, with a good possibility of drawing dead. Fold the turn.

adanthar
05-18-2004, 01:12 PM
At 3/6, with this same action and players I have notes on, I probably fold the turn. The flop is a crying call for 2-3 bets because of the backdoor flush, the T, and the possibility that a K is good, but on the turn you're drawing to around two outs, if that. Incidentally, at 3/6, a good BB probably has two of your tens and folds them because one AK gives him 3 outs for 2 bets.

At .50/1, you played it correctly because everyone in the hand is a complete muppet and you probably have 6+ outs.

illunious
05-18-2004, 01:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Is the consensus that I should have raised the flop, gone into check/call on the turn, and then check/fold on the river?

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow, what a bunch of different opinions. I could be completely off base here, but here are my thoughts...

I think calling the flop is fine. I want to go for my 4 (+2?) outs cheap and I want to see if anyone raises. I would raise AKo in a heartbeat, but BB 3 betting, UTG limp-capping preflop, and then MP2 and CO in for the ride makes me think someone has an ace if not two. I want to see what MP2, CO and Button do after I call.

On the turn, I'm hoping for a K more than a T, but I'd be happy with either. I understand completely that I'm drawing.

On the river, I don't even think there is a 1 in 25 chance that no one has an ace (or the queen). UTG Bet the flop, Button raised, MP2 and CO still like their hand, someone has gotta have an ace. I know, the whole NPAEM thing and all... big pot.. so what.. I don't even think you have a 4% chance of queens full of kings holding up, even against fishy .5/1 party players.