PDA

View Full Version : Same ol' question - is one pair ever good here?

Ulysses
05-18-2004, 04:41 AM
Party Poker 10/20 Hold'em (6 max, 6 handed)

Preflop: akshawnd is UTG with A/images/graemlins/spade.gif, K/images/graemlins/diamond.gif.
akshawnd raises, MP folds, CO calls, Button folds, SB folds, BB calls.

Flop: (6.50 SB) 9/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 4/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, A/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(3 players) </font>
BB checks, akshawnd bets, CO calls, BB calls.

Turn: (4.75 BB) 5/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(3 players) </font>
BB checks, akshawnd bets, CO calls, BB calls.

River: (7.75 BB) 2/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(3 players) </font>
BB checks, akshawnd bets, CO raises, BB folds, akshawnd calls.

Final Pot: 11.75 BB

Results in white below: <font color="white">
akshawnd shows As Kd (one pair, aces).
CO shows 2s 4h (two pair, fours and twos).
Outcome: CO wins 11.75 BB. </font>

naphand
05-18-2004, 05:07 AM
I think, only against a known bluffer.

TheLoser
05-18-2004, 06:19 AM
I almost always check/call in this situation if there are still 2 other opponents in the hand. If they hit whatever doofy draw they have good for them. If they missed let them fire on off and try and bluff it

Ulysses
05-18-2004, 12:52 PM
Check-calling here can't be right, as I so often get paid off in two places by worse one-pair hands that will often check behind.

naphand
05-18-2004, 01:36 PM
Then if you are asking whether it is reasonable to fold, then the answer is - perhaps. If you had checked the Turn and got bet into then it is an easy call, but here you bet thro and he still raises. Surely he has you on an A, so unless he is a known bluffer then you have to consider folding. The more straightforward or passive the player is the more I am tempted to fold. I probably should do it more often, or at least consider it more.

Here, I don't figure the backdoor flush hit, a straight again was rear end, and can he rally have some goofy pair with a 2 or 5 kicker? The only realistic hands are A2 and A5 but there are a few other possibilites - a pair plus backdoor being the most obvious.

You called so you obviously figured he might try it on here, or you just had to see what he had.

I probably call most of the time, but with the right read, it's a fold.

Of course A4 and A9 gets played like this for some peeps too. Will he raise with less than 2-pair? That only sensibly leaves AQ-T, A8-6 that you beat, of these surely he only raises AQ-J. That's not a lot of hands he raises with that you beat, except on a bluff.

stripsqueez
05-18-2004, 08:14 PM
wow - good game

i agree that betting the river is right in this school so the question is whats the difference between the hands that can fold to a raise and those that cant ?

i dont know - i dont think its as easy as dont bet if your not going to call a raise - i think thats a good rule of thumb in some hands but not all - i simply figure that folding to a raise here can obviously be opponent dependant but more to the point assumes the status of deep position - you can do it but its not common

stripsqueez - chickenhawk