PDA

View Full Version : What do you do in the blinds when...

mikewvp
05-18-2004, 04:30 AM
Seems I have been losing a lot of money in the blinds lately. What has been happening is I flop a decent hand, but I am already beat (as I later find out). What do you do if you flop top pair in the blinds against an aggressive player? Am I digging into this too much, is it just bad luck or am I playing these hands wrong? The reason I ask is mainly because I would not generally play these hands, only from the blinds...

Some examples:
Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (9 handed)

Preflop: Hero is SB with 8/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif.
UTG calls, UTG+1 calls, MP1 folds, MP2 folds, MP3 folds, CO calls, Button folds, Hero completes, BB checks.

Flop: (5 SB) J/images/graemlins/spade.gif, A/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 4/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(5 players) </font>
Hero bets, BB folds, UTG folds, UTG+1 calls, CO raises, Hero calls, UTG+1 folds.

Turn: (5 BB) J/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(2 players) </font>
Hero bets, CO raises, Hero calls.

River: (9 BB) 6/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(2 players) </font>
Hero checks, CO bets, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 11 BB
<font color="#990066">Main Pot: 11 BB, between CO and Hero.</font> &gt; <font color="white">Pot won by CO (11 BB).</font>

Results in white below: <font color="white">
Hero shows 8d Ad (two pair, aces and jacks).
CO shows Td As (two pair, aces and jacks).
Outcome: CO wins 11 BB. </font>

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (8 handed)

Preflop: Hero is BB with 8/images/graemlins/club.gif, 9/images/graemlins/diamond.gif.
UTG folds, UTG+1 folds, MP1 calls, MP2 folds, CO folds, Button folds, SB raises, Hero calls, MP1 calls.

Flop: (6 SB) 8/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, K/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 4/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(3 players) </font>
SB bets, Hero calls, MP1 raises, SB calls, Hero calls.

Turn: (6 BB) 8/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(3 players) </font>
SB bets, Hero raises, MP1 calls, SB calls.

River: (12 BB) Q/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(3 players) </font>
SB checks, Hero bets, MP1 raises, SB folds, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 16 BB
<font color="#990066">Main Pot: 16 BB, between MP1 and Hero.</font> &gt; <font color="white">Pot won by MP1 (16 BB).</font>

Results in white below: <font color="white">
MP1 shows 4h 4c (full house, fours full of eights).
Hero shows 8c 9d (three of a kind, eights).
Outcome: MP1 wins 16 BB. </font>

Alobar
05-18-2004, 04:58 AM
hand 1: I go for the cheack raise on the flop. The turn bet serves no purpose, you don't want a lesser hand to fold and you're not causing a better hand to fold. If you've got a read on the guy you might try for a checkraise as he may fold a better hand then, but with the pot as small as it is even then I don't think its worth it. In short, check and call.

hand 2: fold it preflop

7Dave
05-18-2004, 05:17 AM
1) Your taking 2 "bad beats" here. That said, you can try to minimize the loss.

hand 1: Don't bet the turn. Since you're raised on the flop, the CO should have an Ace (or maybe a Jack or a pair). Either way your in bad shape so call him down if you don't trust him or fold.

hand 2: Since the SB raises with one guy in he's got some kind of hand. I'd probably fold here, but since you're in I'd *maybe* call the first bet on the flop but definitely fold to the raise. Two guys showing strength here is one to many.

/d

Peter_rus
05-18-2004, 09:27 AM
1. Check-raise or check-call on flop depending on type of raiser. Fold on flop for 2bets raise. Turn scenario would depend on flop actions.

If i'd do flop play like you - i would very rarely bet the turn first. Check-raise in some cases or simple check-call much better i believe.

2. I mostly fold flop when mp1 reraised. But not anytime. Ya have nearly 6 clean outs estimately i think. 4 for 8 or 9 to go (minus one out because of posibility of higher 2 pairs or set or flush onboard) and two outs for believing your 9 kicker flush would hold up if comes. Once again - depending on raisers - if they're pretty loose and agressive - add 1 or 2 more outs to calculate pot odds.

On turn i surely reraised as you too. Not reraising here will cost money in a distance i think. On river - also i would do like you exactly.

Just a couple of bad beats. Don't worry. IMHO, only one mistake bet on turn in 1. And it's not so worthable, because of people on 2/4 will reraise you on flop often with just high pair and very bad kicker.

Haupt_234
05-18-2004, 09:49 AM
HAnd 1: Bet the flop like you did and check/call down to the raiser.

Hand 2: Fold on the flop when the EP bets. You can easily be raised behind you and pay 2 bets for your middle pair, no kicker. You cannot hold onto middle pair all of the time and this is one of the times it is an easy lay down.

Calling and planning on hitting one of 5 outs while also trying to dodge a fourth diamond, on top of not knowing if your going to be raised or not is way too risky for only a 6SB pot.

Haupt_234

sfer
05-18-2004, 10:07 AM
Hand 1: I usually try to check the flop intending the checkraise a bet from late position. The way you played it, betting the turn was pretty foolish. Even at Party players will rarely raise TP crappy kicker.

Hand 2: I fold preflop without hesitation.

Saborion
05-18-2004, 11:37 AM
Hand 1:
Why bet the turn? You think he'd fold top pair being afraid of trips? Unless he's weak, I seriously doubt it. There's no apparent draw on the flop, so he most likely to raised for value. I'd check-call down HU.

Hand 2:
Easy fold pre-flop. You hand sucks, and you're not closing the action.

Noodles
05-18-2004, 11:45 AM
if you were CO and had say A6s what would be the correct play? I think in face of a bet I would raise the flop as you might get him to fold,if he 3 bets you can fold yourself,if he just calls and then check the turn you can decide to take a free card and see the showdown cheaply in case he has an A with better kicker.
How would you guys play it?