PDA

View Full Version : Not sure how I played this flop

me454555
05-18-2004, 02:44 AM
Party Poker 1/2 (10 handed)

No particular reads on anyone b/c they haven't done anything too interesting since I sat down.

Hero has 8/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 7/images/graemlins/heart.gif and is Button

MP2 limps, CO limps, Hero limps, SB limps, UTG checks

Flop(5 SB): T/images/graemlins/heart.gif, K/images/graemlins/spade.gif, A/images/graemlins/heart.gif

SB checks, UTG bets, MP2 raises, CO calls, Hero folds, SB folds, UTG folds

I'm not really sure how I played this. After a bet and a raise, I was afraid my flush outs might not be good. I was getting 5:1 on the imidiate bet + implied odds but the bet and raise, scared me away from getting trapped.

Turn(5 BB): 9/images/graemlins/heart.gif

MP2 checks, CO bets, MP2 calls

River(7 BB): 5/images/graemlins/club.gif

MP2 checks, CO bets, MP2 calls

Comments and critiques appreciated

Alobar
05-18-2004, 03:43 AM
Fold pre flop, with 2 limpers you arnt really getting the oddds to play a hand like this.

What flop were you waiting for? 456 of hearts? You got your flush draw, play it. Generally a flush draw doesnt raise to shut out the entire field, so I dunno why the raise made you think flush draw.

Allan
05-18-2004, 10:11 AM
I disagree that this is a fold PF.

Once you get that flop, you are going to the river.

Allan

Saborion
05-18-2004, 11:17 AM
I'm weak, but there's no way I fold that hand in that spot getting 5:1.

Saborion
05-18-2004, 11:19 AM
Why fold pre? Because he's not getting enough odds to call? His excellent position doesn't turn this hand into a limp?

chief444
05-18-2004, 11:27 AM
pf limp is fine. Flop fold is horrible, IMO.

[ QUOTE ]
I was getting 5:1 on the imidiate bet + implied odds but the bet and raise, scared me away from getting trapped.

[/ QUOTE ]
I would be almost hoping to get trapped on the flop with 3 opponents. The raise gives you absolutely no reason to believe your flush would not be good. Besides that, two of the higher hearts are already on the board, including the Ace.

MaxPower
05-18-2004, 11:28 AM
[ QUOTE ]
After a bet and a raise, I was afraid my flush outs might not be good. I was getting 5:1 on the imidiate bet + implied odds but the bet and raise, scared me away from getting trapped.

[/ QUOTE ]

Which outs were you worried about? Are you saying that you were afraid that you were up against a higher flush draw? There are exactly 4 cards in the deck that can give someone a higher flush draw. most likely you are up against some high cards (top pair, two pair, etc). I would ever argue that you should raise in your position for value.

You can't be scared and play good poker, especially on the flop.

Your pre-flop call is fine.

tpir90036
05-18-2004, 11:43 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I was afraid my flush outs might not be good.

[/ QUOTE ]
why play 87s in the first place? you *might* be up against a higher flush draw....but you flopped a draw for your hand.... don't get rid of it now.

Alobar
05-18-2004, 11:46 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Why fold pre? Because he's not getting enough odds to call? His excellent position doesn't turn this hand into a limp?

[/ QUOTE ]

This hand plays best multyway, he's only got 2 people in the hand with him, the BB will make 3. He could very easily end up with a draw on the turn and not even have the pot odds to call it. Where is you're cut off, are you playing 34s in this spot?

me454555
05-18-2004, 11:49 AM
This was a textbook limp according the hepfap

me454555
05-18-2004, 11:49 AM
Yeah, I just needed to be ripped apart for my weak flop play. Thanx guys

chief444
05-18-2004, 12:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]
He could very easily end up with a draw on the turn and not even have the pot odds to call it.

[/ QUOTE ]
Then he can fold. But I agree with the others that the pf limp here is fine. I think you are missing out on some money if you fold 7-8s on the button with two limpers and no raise.

How many opponents would it take for you to play this for one SB with position?

Saborion
05-18-2004, 12:09 PM
78s play best multiway, sure, but that doesn't mean it's unplayable against 2 players that limped from middle position or later. As me13546231 said, it's a textbook limp. The BB will make it 3, the SB who is very likely to call given the blind structure, will make it 4. Well enough to play 89s with excellent position in a passive game.

34s? I'm not sure if you're being sarcastic, or honestly just curious, so I'll leave my sarcastic reply out. The only times I play 34s is when I get a free ride in the BB, I close the action multiway in the BB (requires quite a few cold-callers, which doesn't happen that often), completing in the SB in a 1/2 or better blind structure game. I generally never played suited connectors below 56.

Regarding the cutoff. I have 78s/89s as my personal cutoff, and I'd often fold 78s depending on how much information I have about the table and players. But on a passive table, it's playable for sure.

Saborion
05-18-2004, 12:17 PM
You know better than folding that flop. I assume that you were a quite unsure about your fold even before your say the turn card?

I think I'd 3-bet that flop actually. Even if both SB and UTG folds you're still making money. 1.9:1 shot to make your flush. If UTG tags along, great.

biggambler
05-18-2004, 02:17 PM
The reason you would play 78 /images/graemlins/heart.gif is that you are hoping to get a flush, not hoping for a straight flush. Once two /images/graemlins/heart.gif hit the board you have a chance for a flush. The added advantage is that two of the higher hearts that you might worry about are now gone. If you fold after this flop, then don't play it to begin with!

me454555
05-18-2004, 02:51 PM
I know I should have called at the very least. I've been going through a long loosing streak and its been screwing w/my head. It seems every time I hit a flush, someone else hits a bigger one. I just needed someone to remind me how weak I was.

Saborion
05-18-2004, 06:16 PM
I know the feeling. And I'm sure you know the best cure for that one. Take a break. Move down a limit or two, to a limit where the money doesn't matter as much. Force yourself to play aggressively, win a few pots, get your confidence back, then move up and slaughter the games again. /images/graemlins/grin.gif