PDA

View Full Version : need help PLEASE (Am I a bad player??)

stupidsucker
05-18-2004, 12:00 AM
I just had the worst 85 tourney swing I could ever imagine having. I need to know if this is going to be a regular thing or if I got incredibly unlucky or if I am not as good as I thought.

I am positive I made a few bad plays, but over all I think I played solid. I lost $550 in the last 85 tourneys (50 in 30's and 35 in 20's) I lost more money in the 20's then I did the 30's.

I am not going to post every bad beat, because no one wants to see them or hear about them. Is it unusual to have 2 bad days in a row like this over 85 tourneys?

The majority of my beats came from me having the best hand at the time of the all in and getting drawn out on. I also suffered a few beats like my KK Vs AA.

What can I do to get off this tilt??? any suggestions?

Id be more spefific, but I am too angry to even type right now. /images/graemlins/blush.gif /images/graemlins/confused.gif

eastbay
05-18-2004, 12:16 AM
Q1) How many tourneys had you played prior to this?
Q2) What was your ROI for those?

85 tourneys in two days is a lot (to me, anyway). Perhaps you need to just slow down a little, get rested up, and play 1 or 2 at a time for a little while?

An 85 game downswing is getting on the high side of chalking it all up to bad luck.

Let's see, averaging to somewhere around $25 a game, oy... -25% ROI? I hate to break it to you, but that sounds like trouble.

First thing to do? Stop playing. Search for all of Fossilman's posts going back as far as you can. Take a day, or two or three, to read and study them. I'm not engaging in hero worship here as much as I am telling you something that improved my own game immensely.

eastbay

stupidsucker
05-18-2004, 12:27 AM
My RoI was about 35% before the 2 day swing. I normaly play about 20-30 in one day and always play 4 ata time. I played the 50 30's first then dropped down to 20's for bankroll reasons.

Its the bad players that are calling me and sucking out. Rarely do I have the worst hand, and when I do its an over pair to mmy PP including twice I had KK to an AA

I had been slamming these down for this month. I am ranked 106 atm monthly. I have over 200 10's under my belt, about 115 20's and 100 30's.. all had over a 40% ITM and roughly 30-35% roi.

I am still up 700 for my run of over 400 tourneys... but I lost so much so quick. About half my earnings.

eastbay
05-18-2004, 12:35 AM
Well, extended bad runs happen, but I think it is usually more important to think about how to improve your game so that even when you're running terribly, you aren't hemmorhaging your bankroll as fast.

To me, 4 at a time seems like something you might want to reconsider if you're hitting an extended bad streak.

eastbay

stupidsucker
05-18-2004, 12:49 AM
I try to constantly keep my game sharp.

My problem lately has been a lot of disrespect I guess.

when ti comes down to bubble or 5 players, Ill toss in a blind steal with AQ and get called by A8 and lose.

The amount of times I have lost to the low kicker has been absurd. Its the perfect hand I want them to call with and they just keep hitting. To make it worse they go on to make Boats trips too.

I dont let tilt effect my play, but I sure can make those around me misserable. ONE time in all this I found myself hitting the call button when I shouldnt have (I had 77 and was raised 4xBB after I limped in)

I screamed and tantrumed like a child, and I let the table know it too.

If I were my neighbor I would call the cops.

stupidsucker
05-18-2004, 01:20 AM
I took a break calmed down and played one more.

Id love to report good news, but in level 1 I was dealt AKo in the BB

3 limpers ahead of me so I make it 65 to go. 2 call me

I flop a beaut TJQ.. 2 diamonds.

The one guy in late position has a huge stack. He has had good cards and calls down everything.. For example He called an all in bet with low cards the turn card paired top card (8) and he checked and called the all in bet. He has also been bullying people..

So I make the mistake of checking here.. no one bets it for me.

Turn is another Q and I bet the pot. he calls and the river flushes. Ill be damned he had the flush.. I honestly played this one bad trying to trap him, but I can say with 90% certainty he would have called an all in flop bet too. his stack was allready 4x up and he flopped a flush draw.. I would probably call there too.

Im drinking some vodka and going to bed.

Tapped
05-18-2004, 07:58 AM
I can relate to you.

After 200 10+1s I was sitting at 45% ITM and 30 ROI and I decided to move up to 20's.

First of all, contrary to popular belief the competition is noticably better. Even in round 3 you'll often see the majority of players still in, opposed to round 2 down to 4 players typical of 10's.

I hit some real bad swings. 11 games in a row out of the money, 20 tourneys later, another 11 in a row(in fact I'm playing the 12th right now). After 80 tourneys I'm -18% ROI.

I knew I had bad luck, so I went back and went over the last 40 tourneys I played and looked at the last big hand that I lost. Ignoring the limited funds forced plays when the blinds are high, I had 10 suckouts compared to 5 hands where when I put in the all-in I was actually behind. Out of those 5 2 were 2-pair vs. a set, and one was TPTK vs. a mediocre pair that paired his 3 on the river, another was someone trying to steal my BB with a 44 with a 3xBB bet, and I went all-in with AK pre-flop.

Unfortunately if I hit -$300 I'd have to drop down to 10's again just out of principle, even though I see a whole bunch of miscalls and misraises and people playing below my level at the 20's.

Nepa
05-18-2004, 12:57 PM
I think I see what your problem is. You said below "I play 4 at a time" When you are running bad you might want to cut back on that alittle.

If you are playing 4 at a time how are you going to know which players are the tight players and which one are the calling stations ect. ect. ect.

stupidsucker
05-18-2004, 01:38 PM
I went to bed and slept well.

Got up and started refreshed and knowing I am a good player

today has been nothing but the same.

I hit the last mark though when this happened.

I had 22 on the button and limped in level 3.

flop was TQ2 someone bet and I raised, he immeadiatly hit the reraise key to double up my bet, and I reraised back...

he sat there with only 200 chips left (I had 500 more then his stack) He says "damn it I hit the wrong button) Feeling he had too much invested in the pot due to his mistake he calls with AJ... K on the river and he takes down the pot with the inside str8 draw all in "mistake".

At the exact same time on the bubble I have a middle pair and A8o sets me all in. I call and the he hits a runner runner 4 str8 with his 8.

Im sick to my stomach and my voice hurts from crying (not even kidding) I have never ever seen a streak like this in 9 years of play.

I am done with internet poker after today. I am registered in one more 20+2 multi and I will play it. I dont really believe in all the myths about bad beat party boards, but when this happens 3 days in a row with such ridiculous bullshit I am done.

I am a hell of a nice guy, and I cant stand myself when I am like this. My poor girlfriend asked me to tell her all about it, and as I was trying to tell her I got so worked up I suddenly had a case of turrets.

Perhaps I will come back to it, but I live in vegas so there is no real need to play online.

Sorry, I feel like a crybaby, I am acting like a toddler who didnt get candy, and am struggling with the one weakness I know I have......

Tilt.

fnurt
05-18-2004, 01:41 PM
You failed to take advantage of what you knew about your opponents here.

If you have a big stack who is calling everything, why go for the check raise? Why not overbet the pot on the turn?

You don't need to be cute to milk a hand like this when you have calling stations at the table. You won't flop monsters all that often and you want to take maximum advantage. A pot bet on the flop, followed by an all-in bet on the turn, probably wouldn't have led to any different result; but at least you would have been in the position to profit hugely the vast majority of the time.

65 also isn't much of a preflop raise when you have limpers already. Again, if people are going to call your raises with trash, make them pay in advance!