PDA

View Full Version : Should I have raised earlier?

bernie
05-17-2004, 10:05 PM
I won this pot but i was wondering, in general, if the raise i should've put in would be on the turn.

This was a tight ass game. Lots of c/raises on the turn
Not many showdowns so hard to really get a line on their play. The weaker guys on the table are not in this hand.
I figured if he had a mid pair/overpair to the flop & turn, the Q was a good bluff card on the end. If the Q didnt show, like a blank non face card, should i just call the river? Folding if i miss seems pretty weak. Im not too used to these types of games.

Any ideas welcome.

I know it's 2-4 but it was playing tougher than my normal 10-20 live game. so...

($2/$4 Hold'em) 10 handed Full game
Powered by UltimateBet
me: Jh Ac

Pre-flop:

me (CO) raises to $4. BB calls.

Flop (board: 5d 9s 8d):

BB checks. me checks.

Turn 5c (board: 5d 9s 8d):

BB checks. me bets $4. BB raises to $8. me calls.

River Qh (board: 5d 9s 8d 5c):

BB bets $4. me raises to $8.
BB folds. me is returned $4 (uncalled).

Hand #1612877-3936 Summary:

$1.50 is raked from a pot of $33.
ME wins $31.50.

thanks in advance...

b

UMTerp
05-17-2004, 11:50 PM
First of all, I'm betting the flop here. Possible to take it down right away, and if not, you can at least get a little information and set the tone for the rest of the hand. I'm not sure I like the river bet either, but it worked. JT was certainly a possible hand for him, as any 5 or 9. Looks like a poorly played diamond draw to me, but who knows. May have gotten him to lay down a small pocket pair as well.

bernie
05-18-2004, 10:22 AM
After posting it and looking at it, i cant say what i was thinking not betting the flop. Normally, that's what i do. This is how many hands were playing.

Flop check, bet, call
turn check, bet, c/raise

it was almost routine. But as i said, there werent many showdowns so it was hard to really get a line on their play. ie...the table sucked.

I may have had the best hand. Most likely i did. But i wasnt sure. These i did notice these guys were folding mid pairs at times so it is possible i blew him off a hand. I did see a precious couple times theyd show their hand as they folded. But it also looks like he was bluffing on the board pairing. Which if he was, i though he may also have caught a pair earlier.

This is where i wasnt sure whether to 3 bet the turn or just call it out. Im not exactly sure how to play this situation as i havent encountered it as often as i was in this session.

The Q hitting is why i semi bluff raised the river. It's not a total bluff since i may still have the best hand. I could easily fold to a reraise.

thanks for the reply.

b

bernie
05-24-2004, 08:30 PM
_