PDA

View Full Version : tightening up my preflop standards and a bad beat story just 4 fun

theriverwild
05-17-2004, 04:53 PM
Ok Bad beat story 1st. I get 55 on the button 3 call and i call. It's a routine 10/20 game with some weak spots and people who play any 2 in the blind or late position. Flop comes 10 5 2. No flush draw. Checked to me and i bet. The small blind check raies all fold excep a middle position cold caller. I 3 bet and all call. The turn is the 9 completing the rainbow. Checked to me and i bet, and get check raised by the blind again. Middle positon cold calls 2 and i 3 bet all call. the river is another 9. Small blind bets out I am pretty sure he has 109 and i just got runner runner rivered now middle position raises. I figure maybe flopped set of 2's or something. Anyway i give a crying call sb 3bets and all call. BOTH PLAYERS HAD 109. The only way they could win is if 2 of the 3 10's and 9's hit in the next 2 cards. 1 10 left in the deck and 2 9's and two of them needed to hit. LOL Anyway it's gotta be close to 1,000 to 1 or something.

Now for my preflop changes.
B4 early position

KJ offsuit limp, AJ offusit limp (sometimes raise) kq limp mostly. AQ raise almost always.

I'm considering tossing aj offsuit from early position and maybe kq offsuit and kj offsuit definately. I've been giving more thought to limping with aq because it will keep the weak aces in who will pay off better and isn't that much better than opponents hands. I think I'm also gonna start folding aq offsuit to an early position raise from a solid player as well as aj suited and kq suited which I frequently called b4. All suggestions welcome. I'll let u know how it goes after some time.

steveyz
05-17-2004, 06:21 PM
Folding AQo to an solid EP raise is a must. Folding KJ in EP is also a good idea.
I'd still play AJo and KQo in EP and sometimes raise. I know a lot of people will muck these in EP most of the time and I think it's probably a close call, depending on how well you can play post flop.
I'll sometimes call an EP raise with AJs and KQs. It's better than AQo.
As far as limping with AQo, I think it depends on the table. If you play Party 15/30, most of the time I think you'll discover that it is still MUCH better than your opponents hands. Plenty of your opponents will 3-bet you with dominated hands like AJ and AT, or smooth call you with absolute crap.

Richie Rich
05-17-2004, 06:22 PM
Here are the odds you'd win that hand on the flop...
http://twodimes.net/poker/?g=h&b=Ts+5h+2h&d=&h=5c+5s%0D%0ATc+9h%0D%0ATh+9s

theriverwild
05-17-2004, 10:09 PM
Yeah i can calculate the odds but i didn't bother. But next time your try and help someone out make sure u do it properly. U put a flop with 2 spades giving 10 9 a chance to beat me with a 4 card runner runner flush, when the flop was rainbow making it impossible 4 them to beat me with a flush. I appreciate the help don't get me wrong but do it right or don't do it.