PDA

View Full Version : Colma 20-40 hand

SossMan
05-17-2004, 04:41 PM
I just sat down at the 20-40 at Lucky Chances, and I don't have any reads except the guy two to my right (GTTMR) has won the last four hands w/ one showdown (KK, bet all the way w/ a non-scary board vs. two callers, so I guess it's not much of a read, huh?)
So I get KQs and raise UTG, one MP caller, folded to SB (GTTMR) who 3 bets, I call, MP calls.
3 players to the flop for 3 bets each.

Flop comes Q 7 4, one of my suit...SB checks, I bet, MP calls, SB calls.
Turn is an 8 of my suit. SB checks, I bet, MP folds, SB raises, I 3 bet, he calls.
River: offsuit blank.
He checks, I check behind.

Results below in white:

<font color="white"> He shows AA for the winner. </font>

How did I do?

Richie Rich
05-17-2004, 06:15 PM
I don't think it's a matter of how you did, it's how HE played his bullets...which was horrible. I think you played the hand fine, considering you thought that you were ahead with TPGK on the flop.

By 3-betting the turn, then checking the river, you lost the same amount if you called his raise on the turn and called his bet on the river.

Wiscer
05-17-2004, 06:20 PM
Is this some kind of trick question?

You lost.

You obviously left the horseshoe home, young shoemaker...

Nightwish
05-17-2004, 06:34 PM
The move he pulled on you is fairly standard. Note that he probably wouldn't do it with AQ or even KK, but it's fairly safe to do it with AA on that board. You can't fold when he check-raises you on the turn, but what do you do if he caps your 3-bet?

Garland
05-17-2004, 07:15 PM
[ QUOTE ]
The move he pulled on you is fairly standard. Note that he probably wouldn't do it with AQ or even KK, but it's fairly safe to do it with AA on that board. You can't fold when he check-raises you on the turn, but what do you do if he caps your 3-bet?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm pretty sure the 3-bet has something to do with the fact that he has a flush redraw on the turn. SossMan wouldn't mind it so much if SB 4-bet the turn. And BTW, there is no capping heads up at Lucky Chances as it becomes unlimited raising.

Garland

elysium
05-17-2004, 08:36 PM
hi soss
KQs from UTG can sometimes be limped-in, but here you are better raising raising-in, so o.k. there.

you could possibly go for a flop check-raise, not here though. you bet and again that's about rightish. no problem here.

the turn. hmmmm, well that looks o.k.

the river. good.

you're pretty good.

SinCityGuy
05-17-2004, 08:57 PM
When I get raised on the turn, I generally don't like to 3-bet when I don't have TP/TK.

Your opponent played this hand horribly.

SossMan
05-17-2004, 11:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Is this some kind of trick question?

You lost.

You obviously left the horseshoe home, young shoemaker...

[/ QUOTE ]
I need to have it adjusted. I'm not used to losing. lol

SossMan
05-17-2004, 11:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]
When I get raised on the turn, I generally don't like to 3-bet when I don't have TP/TK.

Your opponent played this hand horribly.

[/ QUOTE ]

Garland hit it on the head...I would call the ch/raise on the turn if I didn't pick up the flush draw. I don't like the way he played it at all, either.

Tommy Angelo
05-18-2004, 03:57 AM
I check behind on the flop every time in spots like this because it's such a squirmy check by him on the flop after a threebet from the blind that I just go ahead and play as if he absolutely has AA, KK, QQ, or AK. If he's got AK, and I miss a bet or two, well fine. I think damage control is a good move here. Take me to the river, cheap.

elysium
05-18-2004, 04:50 AM
hi rich
that's right. i don't know if soss posted the results, but it looks to me like the SB has AK. what was the river card? anyway, soss was leading on the turn heavily enough to squeeze in the 3 bet without factoring in the free showdown. i thought soss played stellar start to finish.

SossMan
05-18-2004, 10:41 AM
He had AA.

jayadd
05-18-2004, 03:50 PM
the SB missed 4 bets correct......

SossMan
05-18-2004, 04:06 PM
If he follows through with his 4 bet on the turn and leads the river, he makes 2 more big bets off me.

builtiz
05-18-2004, 06:23 PM
I tend to agree with this man even after all the hatred posted about him /images/graemlins/confused.gif.

If I was smart I would check the flop and see what the sneaky little raiser does on the turn. If he checks the turn also, hey go ahead and bet.

Some people have mentioned the raiser looks like he had AK but unless your a complete puss-puss you don't 3 bet with AK and check the 3 handed Q high flop. Your calling the flop anyway why not bet out???

This little manuever of 3 betting in SB and checking with two other players left screams AA or QQ. KK is not likely as the SB would definetly be afraid of an Ace falling and wouldn't want to give any free cards. What a concept! /images/graemlins/shocked.gif

mike l.
05-18-2004, 09:59 PM
"If he's got AK, and I miss a bet or two"

youve got TAitis dude. if you didnt you could make $1500 an hour playing $3000-$6000. just like david. for shame.

DiamondDave
05-20-2004, 03:46 PM
In that game, I like to open for a fold with KQs.

adios
05-20-2004, 04:02 PM
How should AA have played his hand? Four bet the turn? Bet the river and if raised fold?

adios
05-20-2004, 04:17 PM
Unless you have a set, in which case he loses 3 bets almost all the time (he could spike an Ace unless the spiked Ace would be of a suit that gave you a flush). His right play would depend on what your raising standards are in early position. If it's with any pair you're more likely to have a set giving that much action on the turn. If you give that much action on the turn and your raising standards are fairly tight, he could have put you on AQ, KQs, or QQ (with KK you might play it faster pre-flop). If that's the case then:

AQ == 6 ways you can have it.

KQs == 2 ways you can have it.

QQ == 3 ways you can have it.

Doesn't seem like a major mistake to me given that he doesn't know you either. It almost seems like you're saying he played it terrible because he should have been more accurate in reading your hand. If you would play it that way with a KQs picking up a flush draw or QQ I think his play isn't totally unreasonable.

adios
05-20-2004, 04:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I tend to agree with this man even after all the hatred posted about him

[/ QUOTE ]

Hatred? I think Dave was trying to be helpful. IMO Dave really wants pro poker players to succeed and has an affinity for them. I've observed this many,many times through the years. Dave is blunt and he's ticked me off too but looking back it was my problem not his, seriously.